Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furring strips ON TOP of my roof shingles?

On Dec 4, 7:14 pm, wrote:
On Dec 4, 1:46 pm, Norminn wrote:

I'm not sure what "architectural" shingles are, but I think we have them
) Elk Prestige Plus, I believe. We have an unusual roof on our
condo, with steep mansards on each building. In addition to a poor
installation (improper nailing), they were a poor choice for steep roofs
(formerly concrete tile). After a couple of major reworks, and still
losing shingles, the roofer started applying roof cement under each
tab. Our city also changed the regulations for shingles on steep roofs,
requiring cement under each tab of the shingle. Then came the
hurricanes, in 2005?, and we had a "stuck fast" roof! Max. winds here
were 70 mph, and we lost a skylight but not one shingle. Many of the
buildings in the neighborhood lost many shingles and even concrete
tiles, but ours stayed on. Don't recall whether these shingles are
rated for Dade, but the extra adhesive seems to have made a great
difference.

I guess that sounds like the way to go. Maybe if I do an hour a night
or so I can get it done next summer.

Take a look at the tips from FEMA about roofs:

http://www.fema.gov/plan/prevent/howto/how2031.shtm

Note the section where it says if you live in a hurricane prone area
to use 6 nails and not staples. Personally, I'd insist on that on my
own roof anywhere, as it's far more secure. I saw the same thing
happen to shingles at brand new condos 20 years ago during a
northeaster. The complex where I was living had nailed shingles
with sustained minimal damage. The new place across the street,
where they were nailed, had very substantial damage, with whole big
sections blown off as you describe.

I also agree with the post that you may have a legal case against the
company that installed them, provided the statute of limitations
hasn't run out. The obvious negative for you is the amount of time
that has expired. However, the fact that you had them back
immediately over the 2 years following the work shows that something
has been wrong all along. They are the roofing experts, are local,
and should know that for a house at the top of a wind blown hill,
staples should not be used.

To prevail, you;d need statements from some experts. A certified
home inspector would be one good one as he's independent with no axe
to grind. A couple of reports from other roofers that said the work
was done wrong together with estimates to correct would be good too.
Take pictures of everything. You could sue them in small claims
where you don't need a lawyer and the limit is usually $2K to $10K
depending on state. You probably have a 50-50 shot at winning, but
being able to sue at minimal cost could make it worth while.

Good luck