Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] a2mgoog@yahoo.com is offline

Default Furring strips ON TOP of my roof shingles?

On Dec 4, 1:46 pm, Norminn wrote:
I'm not sure what "architectural" shingles are, but I think we have them
) Elk Prestige Plus, I believe. We have an unusual roof on our
condo, with steep mansards on each building. In addition to a poor
installation (improper nailing), they were a poor choice for steep roofs
(formerly concrete tile). After a couple of major reworks, and still
losing shingles, the roofer started applying roof cement under each
tab. Our city also changed the regulations for shingles on steep roofs,
requiring cement under each tab of the shingle. Then came the
hurricanes, in 2005?, and we had a "stuck fast" roof! Max. winds here
were 70 mph, and we lost a skylight but not one shingle. Many of the
buildings in the neighborhood lost many shingles and even concrete
tiles, but ours stayed on. Don't recall whether these shingles are
rated for Dade, but the extra adhesive seems to have made a great
difference.

I guess that sounds like the way to go. Maybe if I do an hour a night
or so I can get it done next summer.