gene lewis

Default Shop layout

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
news:xYKyc.507$3W3.396@lakeread04...
I predict that the car will have to go. You may THINK you have enough
room now but wait 'till you add the roll around tool cabinet, surface
plate/layout bench and assembly bench. Oh, and don't forget that ton or
two of real interesting drop and scraps you will soon pick up. :-)

OTOH, I have an artist friend in NYC, lower East side who built a pretty
nice shop in a 6'X14' closet. But he is a 6'4" anal retentive, who
weighs maybe 140 soaking wet and enjoys getting very intimate with hot
chips. :-)

My "shop" is 42 by 64 INCHES! I've got 3 benchtop drill presses, a micromark
7x14 lathe, bench grinder, buffer, belt/disk sander, and a surprising amount
of storage. The trick for me was to attach the benches to the walls so I
can sit down while working, and put lots of shelves and storage bins on the
walls. I also made a table that folds down from the wall, when i need to
grind, buff, or sand I just grab the appropriate machine from under the D.P.
table and bolt it down (wingnuts are awesome)

This only works for me because the maximum size of the work I do is about 1"
dia X 1 1/2" long (jewelry)
I do have to borrow a friend's bandsaw (and shop) to cut down stock before I
bring it home.

BTW, I'm 6'1, 210 lbs, and I fit in the shop too!

-Gene