Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Ground on Light switch?

franz frippl wrote:
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:03:44 -0330, Waylon wrote:

Can someone tell me if the Canadian electrical code requires an ground
wire to be connected to a light switch, I always connected the ground to
the box, but a fellow electrician just told me they now need to be
screwed onto the switch.

What would be the advantage to grounding a switch? I see none.

I think grounding of switches appeared in the US-NEC to provide a ground
for metal plates. Switches have to be grounded by:
1 - attachment with metal screws to a metal box (or plastic box with
integral grounding means).
2 - ground wire attachment to a grounding screw on the switch (used for
plastic boxes).
(there are exceptions)

(2005NEC 404.9-B)

--