Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shop organizing... (pegboard)?

"RickH" wrote in message
On Dec 4, 8:45 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

"RickH" wrote in message
..
I was going to string a block and tackle
and cargo net to make it easy to hoist junk like the lawn mower up to
the loft shelf, about 7-8 feet up.
..

I don't think I would want a lawn mower (consider gasoline and oil
as
well) suspended in a cargo net over my head.

--
Joseph Meehan

I think he's saying he'd use the cargo net just to move the mower to the
shelf, not store the mower in the net. However, this raises another
issue.
I've heard that garage rafters are not usually designed to hold a lot of
weight. Disclaimer: This may be true for some garages, but not all.

It's 2x12 joists on 16 inch centers over a 22 foot span with 1/2 inch
drywall, insulated. Since the loft shelf will pertrude suspended
about 32 inches away from the wall and I'll angle brace it into the
wall underneth I think I'm ok because all the force wont be on the
upper suspension, some will be pushing into the wall under. I saw a
nice old fashioned block and tackle set at Menards, that has a picture
of a guy lifting an engine.

I'd post this as a completely new subject in rec.woodworking. Subject line:
"Are my rafters strong enough?" or something like that. The fact that you
saw something on a package is 100% meaningless. I'm not being rude. I'm
being realistic.