Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shop organizing... (pegboard)?

I want to reorganize my shop this winter and I keep coming back to
using pegboard. Mostly because it's a standard that has been around
since the 1950's so it is very non-proprietary, IOW I'm not locked
into clip hangars made by one manufacturer and there is a lot of
variety available for hangars. I want to run 2 whole walls with the
stuff about 48 linear feet in total 4 feet high. With 36 inch
shelving units under it and a loft shelf suspended from the ceiling
above it for bigger stuff. I was going to string a block and tackle
and cargo net to make it easy to hoist junk like the lawn mower up to
the loft shelf, about 7-8 feet up.

Is there anything else better and as universal as 1/4 inch pegboard
available? I want to finally hang all my wood working and otherwise
awkward to store tools, and clear some floor space. Any other ideas
for shop organizing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RickH" wrote in message
[...]

Pegboard is great, but are there any little kids around who might run right
into a peg at eye level?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 4:44 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"RickH" wrote in message

[...]

into a peg at eye level?- Hide quoted text -

No kids any more, the cabinet run under the pegboard will be about 12
to 16 inches deep also with 48 linear feet of countertop and shelving/
cabinets under the top. So anyone walking by will be a good 16 inches
away from the pegwall. The loft shelf will protrude 24 to 32 inches
away from the wall but be 7.5 feet above floor so you can stand under
it, I will probably put lights on bottom side of loft shelf. Pegboard
will form the "back splash" so to speak 48 inches high between the
base cabinets countertop and the loft shelf bottom. Loft shelf will
sit on top of the pegboard furring and lag bolted to the wall studs,
with outer edge of loft shelf suspended from ceiling joists with
either angle iron or just carriage-bolted studs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RickH" wrote in message

[...]

You've defeated my worst case scenario!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 5:21 pm, RickH wrote:
[...]

Have you considered Slat Wall? Much more versatile than pegboard and
there are so many more accessories available, from hooks to shelves to
baskets to cabinets to parts drawers etc.

Google slat wall for info.

http://www.slide-lok.com/products/slatwall.php
http://www.spacesavers.com/slatwall.html
etc.
etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:
[...]

I will probably be shouted down. But I like nails. I just put up a
few pieces off 1x4 and drive in nails. I find them much handier than
peg board. I have peg board in the garage, it was there when I moved
in. But when I started organizing I reached for the 1x4 and nails.

Bill Gill
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smartest thing I ever did was panel all 3 walls in my garage with 1/4 inch
pegboard.
And when a local hardware store went out of business I bought 4 or 5 5 gal.
buckets full of their commercial grade peg hooks, as well as most of their
specialized tool hangers for things like shovels, rakes and the like.
Can't recommend this concept highly enough!!!

"RickH" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
"RickH" wrote in message
..
I was going to string a block and tackle
and cargo net to make it easy to hoist junk like the lawn mower up to
the loft shelf, about 7-8 feet up.
..

I don't think I would want a lawn mower (consider gasoline and oil as
well) suspended in a cargo net over my head.

--
Joseph Meehan

I think he's saying he'd use the cargo net just to move the mower to the
shelf, not store the mower in the net. However, this raises another issue.
I've heard that garage rafters are not usually designed to hold a lot of
weight. Disclaimer: This may be true for some garages, but not all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 8:35 am, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
"RickH" wrote in message

..
I was going to string a block and tackle
and cargo net to make it easy to hoist junk like the lawn mower up to
the loft shelf, about 7-8 feet up.
..

I don't think I would want a lawn mower (consider gasoline and oil as
well) suspended in a cargo net over my head.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

The cargo net was just for hoisting Rubbermaid storage bins with the
block rigging, I'll have a hook attachment for hoisting the mower.
The mower would be drained and pushed over onto the shelf, there will
be about 42-48 inches available from loft shelf to ceiling (~ 11
foot). No I wouldn't put gas on a shelf. But I want to alternate the
small mower and the snowblower seasonally to get back more floor
space.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 5:32 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 3, 5:21 pm, RickH wrote:

[...]

http://www.slide-lok.com/products/sl.../slatwall.html
etc.
etc.

Thanks, I thought of this but shipping is by expensive freight only
because of the bulk and weight, if I can find a local supplier I may
use a combination of peg and slatwall though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RickH" wrote in message
On Dec 4, 8:35 am, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
"RickH" wrote in message

..
I was going to string a block and tackle
and cargo net to make it easy to hoist junk like the lawn mower up to
the loft shelf, about 7-8 feet up.
..

I don't think I would want a lawn mower (consider gasoline and oil as
well) suspended in a cargo net over my head.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

The cargo net was just for hoisting Rubbermaid storage bins with the
block rigging, I'll have a hook attachment for hoisting the mower.
The mower would be drained and pushed over onto the shelf, there will
be about 42-48 inches available from loft shelf to ceiling (~ 11
foot). No I wouldn't put gas on a shelf. But I want to alternate the
small mower and the snowblower seasonally to get back more floor
space.

Unless you know for a fact that your garage rafters were specifically
designed or modified for holding a lot of weight, you should do further
research on the subject, even if it means taking some very clear, well lit
photos and posting them at a site like www.photobucket.com where we can view
them easily. I'm not a home builder, but I'm sure others have enough
experience to provide some advice once they see the pictures. I'd post the
question here, and also in a newsgroup called rec.woodworking.

My concern is based on having a highly regarded home inspector comment on
what I was storing in my garage rafters. He said most are not built for this
type of thing, and the results could be disturbing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 8:45 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

"RickH" wrote in message
..
I was going to string a block and tackle
and cargo net to make it easy to hoist junk like the lawn mower up to
the loft shelf, about 7-8 feet up.
..

I don't think I would want a lawn mower (consider gasoline and oil as
well) suspended in a cargo net over my head.

--
Joseph Meehan

I think he's saying he'd use the cargo net just to move the mower to the
shelf, not store the mower in the net. However, this raises another issue.
I've heard that garage rafters are not usually designed to hold a lot of
weight. Disclaimer: This may be true for some garages, but not all.

It's 2x12 joists on 16 inch centers over a 22 foot span with 1/2 inch
drywall, insulated. Since the loft shelf will pertrude suspended
about 32 inches away from the wall and I'll angle brace it into the
wall underneth I think I'm ok because all the force wont be on the
upper suspension, some will be pushing into the wall under. I saw a
nice old fashioned block and tackle set at Menards, that has a picture
of a guy lifting an engine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RickH" wrote in message
On Dec 4, 8:45 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

"RickH" wrote in message
..
[...]

I'd post this as a completely new subject in rec.woodworking. Subject line:
"Are my rafters strong enough?" or something like that. The fact that you
saw something on a package is 100% meaningless. I'm not being rude. I'm
being realistic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 9:51 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"RickH" wrote in message

On Dec 4, 8:45 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

.. .

"RickH" wrote in message
..
[...]

being realistic.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, the joist size is above, maybe someone here knows too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BillGill wrote:

RickH wrote:
I want to reorganize my shop this winter and I keep coming back to
using pegboard.

-snip-
I will probably be shouted down. But I like nails. I just put up a
few pieces off 1x4 and drive in nails. I find them much handier than
peg board. I have peg board in the garage, it was there when I moved
in. But when I started organizing I reached for the 1x4 and nails.

I'm with you, Bill. I'd put 1/2" sheetrock up for the fire
resistance- then cover that with 1/2 plywood.

I prefer screws because they are easier to move around, but the theory
is the same; Put one wherever you want- replacement is always
available.

Maybe the pegboard of 30 years ago was different- but I switched
because;
the pegs never seemed to be quite where I wanted them to be to get
things spread out to my satisfaction-
pegs would drop out of their holes when I pulled a tool off without
paying much attention--
I often managed to hang something too heavy for the fragile pegboard
and rip the hole out.. . .

Maybe others- but I haven't used the stuff since the 70s.

Jim

Organizing CD's and DVD's in drawers HerHusband Woodworking 19 May 17th 07 03:41 AM
Organizing the woodshop robo hippy Woodworking 0 September 21st 05 05:15 PM
pegboard John G UK diy 6 March 18th 05 11:44 AM
Pegboard John UK diy 2 October 17th 04 07:13 PM
Any Ideas For Organizing A Contractors Work Van? michael_m_MT Woodworking 4 March 18th 04 09:32 AM