Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Hawkins Jim Hawkins is offline

Default Avometer Model 8 repair

"Baron" wrote in message
Jim Hawkins wrote:

I have an Avometer Model 8 in excellent condition except for some
corrosion in the battery compartment.
Before I have a go at stripping the compartment out and either
cleaning or
replacing the corroded bits, has anyone any tips on doing this ? Any
sources of replacement battery compartments ?

Jim Hawkins

AVO in Dover still carry spares as do Farnell in Leeds.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Thanks, Baron and N. Cook
I couldn't find any replacement battery contacts, so
stripped the battery comparment, got the contacts cleaned
and gold-plated.
Re-assembly is tricky - helps if you're a twelve-fingered Bessarabian dwarf.
Two types of 15v battery that fit the AVO are still available.
So my elderly Avo8 is now fully functional on all ranges, and checks out
well against my Fluke 189.

Jim Hawkins