Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Avometer Model 8 repair

I have an Avometer Model 8 in excellent condition except for some corrosion
in the battery compartment.
Before I have a go at stripping the compartment out and either cleaning or
replacing the corroded bits, has anyone any tips on doing this ? Any
sources of replacement battery compartments ?

Jim Hawkins

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Hawkins wrote in message
I have an Avometer Model 8 in excellent condition except for some

corrosion
in the battery compartment.
Before I have a go at stripping the compartment out and either cleaning or
replacing the corroded bits, has anyone any tips on doing this ? Any
sources of replacement battery compartments ?

Jim Hawkins

AFAIK the 30V? batteries for the high R range are unavailable anwhere, so
you may as well clean out and convert the housing to take a couple of
photographic 15V? batteries plus the 1.5V one

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Hawkins wrote:

I have an Avometer Model 8 in excellent condition except for some
corrosion in the battery compartment.
Before I have a go at stripping the compartment out and either
cleaning or
replacing the corroded bits, has anyone any tips on doing this ? Any
sources of replacement battery compartments ?

Jim Hawkins

AVO in Dover still carry spares as do Farnell in Leeds.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Jim Hawkins wrote:
I have an Avometer Model 8 in excellent condition except for some
corrosion in the battery compartment. Before I have a go at stripping
the compartment out and either cleaning or replacing the corroded bits,
has anyone any tips on doing this ? Any sources of replacement battery
compartments ?

They are still available new (at a price) so I'd guess AVO will supply
spares.

--
*Welcome to **** Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave Plowman (News) wrote in message
In article ,
Jim Hawkins wrote:
I have an Avometer Model 8 in excellent condition except for some
corrosion in the battery compartment. Before I have a go at stripping
the compartment out and either cleaning or replacing the corroded bits,
has anyone any tips on doing this ? Any sources of replacement battery
compartments ?

They are still available new (at a price) so I'd guess AVO will supply
spares.

--
*Welcome to **** Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Does anyone pay 800 GBP plus VAT for a new Avo 8 ?
I was forgetting the later ones use an inverter from the 1.5V

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Hawkins wrote:
I have an Avometer Model 8 in excellent condition except for some
corrosion in the battery compartment. Before I have a go at
stripping the compartment out and either cleaning or replacing the
corroded bits, has anyone any tips on doing this ? Any sources of
replacement battery compartments ?

They are still available new (at a price) so I'd guess AVO will supply
spares.

Does anyone pay 800 GBP plus VAT for a new Avo 8 ?

I'd guess they must otherwise they wouldn't be listed. Perhaps only for
display purposes, though. I can't remember when last I used mine. I have a
smaller analogue unit I use on old stuff where the readings call for a
10,000 ohms per volt one.

I was forgetting the later ones use an inverter from the 1.5V

Makes sense.

--
*He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Hawkins wrote:
I have an Avometer Model 8 in excellent condition except for some
corrosion in the battery compartment. Before I have a go at
stripping the compartment out and either cleaning or replacing the
corroded bits, has anyone any tips on doing this ? Any sources of
replacement battery compartments ?

They are still available new (at a price) so I'd guess AVO will supply
spares.

Does anyone pay 800 GBP plus VAT for a new Avo 8 ?

I'd guess they must otherwise they wouldn't be listed. Perhaps only for
display purposes, though. I can't remember when last I used mine. I have a
smaller analogue unit I use on old stuff where the readings call for a
10,000 ohms per volt one.

Dave AAAAARRRGGGGHHH !!! How can you own an AVO 8, and not use it in
preference to a 'little' one !!! Mine gets used every single day of my
working life ! I've had it since it was issued to me as an apprentice 35
years ago, and nothing would persuade me to part with it for 'general' fault
finding measurements. My high quality digital only comes out when I need to
know exactly what a voltage or resistance is. Without your AVO out on the
bench, where do you put your screws ...?

Finest analogue meter ever made, barring none, but I do think that 800 quid
is a bit OTT. You'd have to be really serious to part with that sort of
money, even for an '8. They are still readily available at radio rallies for
less than £70 most times.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
I'd guess they must otherwise they wouldn't be listed. Perhaps only
for display purposes, though. I can't remember when last I used mine.
I have a smaller analogue unit I use on old stuff where the readings
call for a 10,000 ohms per volt one.

Dave AAAAARRRGGGGHHH !!! How can you own an AVO 8, and not use it in
preference to a 'little' one !!! Mine gets used every single day of my
working life ! I've had it since it was issued to me as an apprentice 35
years ago, and nothing would persuade me to part with it for 'general'
fault finding measurements. My high quality digital only comes out when
I need to know exactly what a voltage or resistance is. Without your
AVO out on the bench, where do you put your screws ...?

Heh heh. I have a mains digital LED bench meter firmly screwed to a shelf
above the workbench. Comes on with the bench supply. Does things like
autorange and peak hold which I find indispensable these days. Hardly ever
need an analogue one - and I'd not like to drop the AVO. ;-)

Finest analogue meter ever made, barring none, but I do think that 800
quid is a bit OTT. You'd have to be really serious to part with that
sort of money, even for an '8. They are still readily available at
radio rallies for less than £70 most times.

Yup. Mine cost a couple of week's wages in the '60s - complete with
leather case.

--
*Never test the depth of the water with both feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If anyone finds this thread in the archives.
This place
http://www.inmar.co.uk/about.htm
when it was called Test Instrument Services used to rebuild/rewind the meter
movements for the likes of Avos , but mainly keeping old but still vital
bits of ship's instrumentation going.
Don't know if they still do so.

Anyone know of a tutorial or hints/tips for dismantling/rewinding/resetting
the hairspring on such meters ?
Don't have an immediate requirement fo rthe knowledge but its something I've
always steered away from attempting.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Nice to see an Avo valve characteristic meter (mk 3 or earlier) in with the
resusitated Colosus at Bletchley Park/ Station X, on the news today.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Hawkins wrote:
[...]

I agree ! My first Avo was a model 7 more than 40 years ago. Like Arfa
my Model 8 Mk2 is in daily use. I once watched a bloke cry after
accidently pushing his off the seat of a truck he was working on!

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , N Cook wrote:
AFAIK the 30V? batteries for the high R range are unavailable anwhere

Last check Maplin still sold them, BLR121 or some similar number. Amazing,
seeing as a lot of the rest of the electronic range has been elbowed for
"toys"
Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Baron" wrote in message
Jim Hawkins wrote:

I have an Avometer Model 8 in excellent condition except for some
corrosion in the battery compartment.
Before I have a go at stripping the compartment out and either
cleaning or
replacing the corroded bits, has anyone any tips on doing this ? Any
sources of replacement battery compartments ?

Jim Hawkins

AVO in Dover still carry spares as do Farnell in Leeds.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Thanks, Baron and N. Cook
I couldn't find any replacement battery contacts, so
stripped the battery comparment, got the contacts cleaned
and gold-plated.
Re-assembly is tricky - helps if you're a twelve-fingered Bessarabian dwarf.
Two types of 15v battery that fit the AVO are still available.
So my elderly Avo8 is now fully functional on all ranges, and checks out
well against my Fluke 189.

Jim Hawkins

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Hawkins wrote:

"Baron" wrote in message
Jim Hawkins wrote:

I have an Avometer Model 8 in excellent condition except for some
corrosion in the battery compartment.
Before I have a go at stripping the compartment out and either
cleaning or
replacing the corroded bits, has anyone any tips on doing this ?
Any sources of replacement battery compartments ?

Jim Hawkins

AVO in Dover still carry spares as do Farnell in Leeds.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Thanks, Baron and N. Cook
I couldn't find any replacement battery contacts, so
stripped the battery comparment, got the contacts cleaned
and gold-plated.

Gold plated ! Wow I'm envious. ;-)

Re-assembly is tricky - helps if you're a twelve-fingered Bessarabian
dwarf. Two types of 15v battery that fit the AVO are still available.
So my elderly Avo8 is now fully functional on all ranges, and checks
out well against my Fluke 189.

Good for you.

Jim Hawkins

Farnell may still have the inverter for those. The batteries are
getting scarce and very expensive nowadays.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.