Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Natural Gas Shut Off

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
thing - if the gas had to be shut off, then either something was
wrong
or you made a change and they want to inspect stuff before the gas
can
be turned back on. No one would just turn the gas off for no reason.

On the other hand, the installer could have been wrong...I'll call my
gas provider when I get a chance just so I'll know.

... Unquote

Some pressure regulators will lock out. As for why anyone would shut the
gas off, it may be to remove and bypass the meter. People go to great
lengths to steal utilities.

Last week we hat the gas off at work while they hooked up an additional gas
line. A service guy had to check each appliance in the building to be sure
it fired up OK. Of the 10 units, two have pilot lights (others are
electronics) and he used a stick match on the end of a 6" rod with a clip to
hold the match. For safety reasons, they are not allowed to use the butane
lighters. He said they are too explosive and pack the power of 1/4 stick of
dynamite.