Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default did you already seen it ? "The Most Powerful Diesel Engine in theWorld!"

On Dec 3, 12:10 pm, Jon Elson wrote:
Nick Mueller wrote:
Jon Elson wrote:

No no no.... You do not "install" this engine. You barge it to the dry
dock, place it in the right spot with a BUNCH of cranes, then you build
the boat AROUND it!

Not done that way. The hull is erected and the the engine lifted into the
hull. Then the deck is done.
Hard to replace, anyhow. :-)

Amazing! I can't imagine the cranes that must be needed to lift the
14-Cyl version
of that Wartsila engine, it must be close to 100 feet long and maybe 8
feet wide and 30 tall! Obviously, you have to build the structure that
goes below the engine before the engine goes in, and I assume that the
boat would get scrapped if the engine needed a complete replacement.
For structural reasons, I can't imagine they have a single 100 foot long
hatch over the engine, like a car's hood.

Jon

Haven't been in a shipyard lately, have you? They prefab whole
sections of ships now, lift them into position and fasten them. All
modular. The engine probably would never be removed once the deck
above is in position, there's probably a bridge crane in the engine
room to handle the engine parts if a teardown is ever needed. The
hatch would probably handle the largest piece on end and that would
probably be lifted by a shipyard crane. Cranes rated in thousands of
tons aren't that uncommon at shipyards anymore, given the size of the
ships being built these days and how they build them.

Stan