Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Kitchen sink questions was do all projects end like this?

On Dec 1, 8:22Â*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 1, 5:23�pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

Today's project: replace the sink strainer in the kitchen sink (it was
of unknown - probably geriatric - age, stopper didn't seal, couldn't
find a replacement stopper to fit) along with the P-trap (was PVC, one
fitting was cracked and leaking) ended up having to get a new tailpiece
extension as well as the new strainer was shallower than the old one,
also some hose and clamps for the dishwasher drain as that looked pretty
shaggy. �Ended up having to Sawzall out the old strainer assy. as it
simply would not come out of the sink. �Put everything together, pat
self on back... �remove old sprayer hose etc. from the sink, as it isn't
hooked to anything and looks like crap... �ended up having to Sawzall
that out too, couldn't bust it loose to save my life. �Total bill so far
about $80 (had to buy a strainer wrench too as I didn't have one, and
didn't have a wrench big enough to tighten the strainer nut...) �girlie
washes some dishes, there's still water on the floor of the cabinet.
Crawl under, it's coming from underneath the faucet. �Well, there's no
sense pulling and resealing the faucet even though it's a decent Delta
faucet, because it doesn't have the sprayer hose attachment and the
girlie wants that. �To add insult to injury, was laying on my back
looking up at all this stuff and here while the sink is stainless steel,
the little rails that the clamps that hold it to the countertop clip to
are mild steel, rusted to s**t, and disintegrating. �So now I'm waiting
for her to come back from wherever she's at to drag her shopping for a
new faucet AND SINK...

Do all around-the-house projects end up like this? �If so, I might just
have to stop fixing stuff and start placing buckets strategically.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

yeah sadly jobs do grow, espically when stuff is let go or old. look
at the brite side a plumber would of likely charged 500 bucks

I wouldn't call the last plumber to come out here for anything; I think
he is responsible for at least some of the mess. Â*I know that there was
a minor water incident down the wall below the kitchen when the PO's had
the dishwasher replaced immediately prior to us looking at the house;
apparently he thought hose clamps on the drain tubing were optional...
sheesh. Â*There still were no clamps on the hose from the air gap to the
tailpiece, I added some when I replaced the hose.

Which brings me to the question - I have a single, 6" deep sink right
now. Â*I'm thinking of possibly replacing it with an 8" deep one, or
maybe even cutting the hole in the countertop bigger and putting in a
double sink.

questions:

1) in a small kitchen, is a double sink really worthwhile, or is it
generally not fully utilized? Â*Obviously this is one of those
personal-experience type questions. Â*I'm fairly certain she would prefer
a deeper one as well, and I do think it might keep the counter neater by
minimizing splashing.

2) I think the girlie would really prefer the look of a white porcelain
enameled sink to another stainless steel one. Â*Do these tend to hold up
well without scratching? Â*The only houses I've lived in with them came
with them and by the time I got there were of such an age that I
couldn't really tell if any new scratches got added.

3) All of the sinks that we looked at at the Despot (only place that was
open on a Saturday evening) only had four holes for fixtures. Â*Is an air
gap actually required for a dishwasher drain? Â*ISTR in my parents' house
that there was no air gap, the drain hose was simply looped up high and
then came down into the tailpiece of the sink drain. Â*Or is it just SOP
for an installer to cut another hole if a dishwasher is installed? Â*If
so, how would one do that in a cast iron sink?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

Get the biggest single basin sink that you can fit in your cabinets.
If you have a dishwasher, there is no reason to have two basins.
Period. Home Depot is not the place to shop for kitchen sinks.

Read your dishwasher manual for how to loop your drain line.