Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack Hammer Jack Hammer is offline

Default Natural Gas Shut Off

On Dec 3, 8:48 am, Edge wrote:
After I had my house built, I noticed that the natural gas line to the
dryer did not have a shutoff valve. The builder sent over a plumber to
install one. Without turning off the gas, he unscrewed the end cap,
doped up the threads, and screwed in a shutoff valve. Although it only
took less than a minute, was this safe? This was located in the
basement near the furnace and water heater, which could have provided
an ignition point. I never had to shut off the gas to the whole house.
For my information, where is the main shutoff for the gas?

Was it safe? I guess it was if your house is still there. As a
licensed plumber I
have done that many times but I would not have done it if the
homeowner was there.
The gas has a very potent smell that is much stronger then the gas
itself. It's done
that way to get the consumers to pay attention to a small leak. Ever
fixture needs
its own shut-off. The main gas shut-off is located outside the house
where the gas
main enters the house. It is illegal to for a gas pipe to enter any
building below ground.
Your gas meter also has a (2) gas shut-offs. One is for a lock when
you don't pay your bills.
Listen or call in to the Jack Hammer Re-construction show on Tuesday
Morning 9:am to 10:am
888-321-7234 and www.castlerrockradio.com Tomorrows show is about
water treatment.