Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Mueller Nick Mueller is offline

Default did you already seen it ? "The Most Powerful Diesel Engine in the World!"

Jon Elson wrote:

I can't imagine the cranes that must be needed to lift the
14-Cyl version
of that Wartsila engine, it must be close to 100 feet long and maybe 8
feet wide and 30 tall!

They'd have to lift it anyhow. So it doesn't matter that much how high. :-)
There are swimming cranes that can lift an incredible load. Maybe it takes
some of them, I don't know. Also, I don't think this one is installed as a
whole.

Obviously, you have to build the structure that
goes below the engine before the engine goes in,

Exactly. Because you want to have the engine in a closed compartment
quickly, it is installed at quite a late moment. And yes, there is a huge
hole in some of the decks.
The superstructures are installed later. Mostly in building blocks and even
with the ship already swimming. A drydock costs money.

and I assume that the boat would get scrapped if the engine needed a
complete replacement.

They are sometimes replaced. But I guess that's an expensive task,
especially with this monster! :-)

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO: