Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Natural Gas Shut Off

On Dec 3, 11:49 am, "S. Barker" wrote:
Why would the gas co. have to turn it back on if you all turned it off? The
valve turns just as easy both ways.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

When I had my furnace installed, we discovered that the main shut off
inside the house turned off the gas to all the appliances except the
furnace. The pipe to the furnace was T'd before the main internal
shutoff. In order to shut off the gas to the furnace, we would have
had to shut off the valve at the meter outside the house, which would
have required a service call to the gas company to turn it back on. We- Hide quoted text -

The installer looked at the meter and said it was the style that was
required to be "reset" with a special tool before the gas would come
back on. Yes, the valve would turn both ways, but that something else
had to be done to actually get the gas to flow. I guess it's a safety
thing - if the gas had to be shut off, then either something was wrong
or you made a change and they want to inspect stuff before the gas can
be turned back on. No one would just turn the gas off for no reason.

On the other hand, the installer could have been wrong...I'll call my
gas provider when I get a chance just so I'll know.