Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling Fan is 'rocking' violently

"Crackles McFarly" wrote in message
It's not flush with the ceiling, has about 1/8th inch all around.
It worked good for 3 months, now it's wobbling like mad.

I don't know much about how to fix or replace the box in the ceiling
the fan is attached to.

How much wobble is normal?

How can I fix the fan, box, or both?

thanks

I looked at an installation manual at the Hunter site, and sure enough, it
doesn't go into enough detail about proper support for the electrical box
(although that should've been intuitive). But, the manual mentions a
separate booklet that should've come with your fan:

"The location of a ceiling fan and how the fan is attached to the building
structure are essential for reliable
operation, maximum efficiency, and energy savings. For this reason, we have
included a separate booklet - "Guide to Choosing and Preparing a Ceiling Fan
Site" - to help you select the best location for your fan. The booklet also
provides information to ensure your fan support and electric outlet box meet
UL-approved safety codes for ceiling fans. The instructions in this
installation manual assume that you have used "Guide to Choosing and
Preparing a Ceiling Fan Site" to pick the fan location and make certain the
proper fan support and outlet box are installed."

Did you check that booklet? It sounds like it would contain more detail
about proper support methods.