Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Ceiling Fan is 'rocking' violently

According to :
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 09:57:48 -0500, Crackles McFarly
wrote:

It's not flush with the ceiling, has about 1/8th inch all around.
It worked good for 3 months, now it's wobbling like mad.

I don't know much about how to fix or replace the box in the ceiling
the fan is attached to.

How much wobble is normal?

How can I fix the fan, box, or both?

NO wobble is normal. Sounds like a poorly done installation that is
falling apart.

A bit of wobble is normal - uneven distribution of dust alone
can do it.

However, it's a new installation, and the 1/8" gap is suggestive
that it (possibly the box) is working itself loose. Could be common
nails in the back of the box slowly getting vibrated out.

I'd keep it shut off until you can diagnose/repair the problem. If
the box is working loose, the whole unit might fall down.

Is the bezel moving, or just the fan?

Check that the mounting screws in the bezel are tight.
If they are, it's probably the box coming loose. Depending
on how it's mounted, a couple of #10 or #12 screws driven
through the back of the box may be sufficient.

Code has gotten stricter over ceiling fan mounting. I prefer
to use a piece of 2x4 or 2x6 backing screwed between the joists,
mounting the box with several heavy wood screws into the backing. A
"U channel" of wood with the sides of the box screwed in to the
legs is even better. Very heavy fixtures may need additional
brackets straddling the tops of the joists with bolts to
hold onto the lower bracket.

Some of the prefab metal brackets are fine too, as long as they're
solidly attached.

--
Chris Lewis,