Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Anyone here tried to dry wood with the rack in a clothes dryer?

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 22:47:28 -0500, "Lyndell Thompson"
wrote:

I know it sounds crazy but othere than getting kicked out of the house by
SWMBO....................I don't see why it would not work. I did the math
and and it looks like it would run for $3.74 per hour @ my electric rates. I
am not talking about a lot of wood here, just a few pieces to turn or maybe
sheet or two of veneer. The stationary rack is about 24"long and 16" wide.
They kiln dry here for about 30 cents a board foot, but won't fool with a
few pen blanks or similiar. Just curious.....cuz I hate to be the first fool
to try this and tear up the dryer or worse......burn down the house! It was
time for an upgrade and we did the HE4 washer and dryer from kenmore. They
sat here about a year due to deaths in the family & you name it. Got them in
last weekend and thought about this. All comments pro and con welcome.
Really hoping to hear from Arch on this one as he says Turn To Safety. :-)
Thanks Lyndell

Drying wood is tricky, a guessing game, almost impossible to do with
any accuracy without an instrument to measure the percent moisture
content. It takes a special know-how skill to dry wood. I prefer the
slow air-dry method, but I have been successful using a regular (200
degree or less) oven for smaller pieces. A clothes dryer might work
or it might dry the wood too fast, depending on the type of wood and
other factors.

I have turned wet wood but not without frustration. After some
suggestions and experimentation, I found that putting the turned piece
in a bag of sawdust immediately after turning slow the drying process
down enough to prevent splitting.