Posted to rec.woodworking
Tristie Tristie is offline

Default How do you clean a cloth backed strip of sand paper?

On Dec 2, 4:17 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Thanks Bob I'll keep that in mind also. I just so happen to have some PVC
pipe on hand. I'll try that first.

"BobS" wrote in message

Leon,

Here's the protocol I use for cleaning

1. Gummy stick
2. PVC pipe
3. Solvent (mineral spirits)

No one has mention using PVC pipe yet so I'll explain. I have the 16/32
Performax and when the paper gets loaded with sap - only a good soaking
seems to work. But for just about everything else, and when the gummy
stick isn't enough, I use a 1-1/2 or 2" diameter section of PVC pipe. You
press the round end of the pipe into the paper (lightly) and move it back
and fourth across the drum. If you get to heavy on the pressure, you'll
start melting the PVC.

It's stiffer than the gummy sticks and works pretty well too. I've not
found any single method of cleaning that works for everything.

As for buying long rolls and cutting the strips - hell yes, it's the only
way to go.....;-) Good heavy weight papers are the way to save money.
The paper will last a lot longer if you take light passes and keep it
clean. Once you get sap on it, clean it off with some mineral spirits.
Throw a cloth under the drum, get an old toothbrush or other nylon brush
and dab on some mineral spirits to clean it off. If that doesn't do it,
then remove the roll and soak it in mineral spirits.

Bob S.- Hide quoted text -

Buy a package of the ornage or yellow plastic tree felling (chainsaw
use, usually made and marketed by Oregon) wedges that are sold two per
pack in big box stores like Lowes etc. They are much better at
cleaning out junk from abrasive belts than a rubber stick can dream
of. Cheaper and make less mess and last a long time too. They remove
paint, residue from woods, metals etc very easy and more efficieintly
than a rubber based device.