Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Anyone here tried to dry wood with the rack in a clothes dryer?

Dripping wet wood is a hoot to turn. Rough the bowl now while the mulberry
rains in the shop. Then apply the wood sealer and let it dry
sloooowwwwly. Life is too short to try to fast dry nice wood.

That said, nope, never tried to make a drier into a kiln.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"George" wrote in message
et...

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
I know it sounds crazy but othere than getting kicked out of the house by
SWMBO....................I don't see why it would not work.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/ Is a good place to start. The search feature
will return all kinds of information, which will be more meaningful
_after_ you read Ch 3 of
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fp.../fplgtr113.htm to find
out the basics of wood and water.

Having once dried willow in SWMBO's microwave, I would not personally risk
a dryer. But, as you'll see, warming the air lowers the relative humidity
and exhausting warm, moist air allows cooler, dry air to come in and be
warmed. Kilns work this way.

You can also let the ocean of air dilute and disperse, though I would
favor a microwave. YOUR microwave, not hers. Longer and lower settings
are what I've used.