Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default Voltage drop scenario/amperage question

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:32:56 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

60 A through 10 GA wire certainly would be an issue, at least code wise,
seeing as it's only rated for 30 A generally.

As I wrote this, I was thinking that the wirefeed would PROBABLY work, but
the buzz box probably would NOT work. I'm trying to get hold of my union
electrician friend, but he is in another city and has not called me back
yet. In the meantime, I'm trying to get a handle on what I can and can't
do.

Thanks for your input(s).

Steve

I once pulled 500 amps out of a CyberTig 2, using 12ga stranded

Not for very long, just long enough to stick a piece of 6011
completely through both sides of a 2.5x2.5" piece of thickwall tubing.

About 120 amps at 240, 3ph. Didnt get very warm, though the ****
dribbling down my leg was warmish.

Had the remot control pot wired backwards......low turned out to be
"full on, full military power"

Gunner