Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
oldjag oldjag is offline

Default Clausing cross slide

On 2007-12-01, Ned Simmons wrote:

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 11:17:02 -0800 (PST), oldjag
wrote:

It looks very similar to the slide in your photo. The lathe has a
regular tailstock and no turret, so I don't think it was originally
set up ar a turret lathe. It would be nice to be able to set a
compound of some sort on the T slots, but I'm not sure if it would
wind putting the tool post up to high relative to the center height.

I know Clausing did offer some of their lathes with turrets in place
of the tailstock, and I once had a 16" Southbend set up that way. I
think Don Nichols has a Clausing turret lathe - you might want to get
his attention if he doesn't pop in.

I did. :-)

It seems reasonable that since Clausing was already making your style
of cross slide for turret lathes, they may have offered it as an
option on the engine lathes.

Or -- some previous owner may have chased down the tailstock to
fit it, and sold off the turret. It mounts just like the tailstock,
except that there is a clamp at each end, held by two Allen-head cap
screws at each end.

I had to track down a standard tailstock for mine -- but I kept
the turret, as it is very useful at times. I wish that I had the
alternate cross-slide too -- but yours would not fit my lathe 13" vs
12", and I would want to keep my standard one as well. I think that
they can be swapped at the dovetail between the cross-slide and the
carriage.

BTW -- does your cross-slide have a crank and leadscrew, or a
lever feed? Some of these had the latter, as it was quicker to use in
production -- where you were not using the cross-slide to turn specific
diameters.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html

It has the crank and lead screw. Seems to have had very little use on
the bed ways, cross slide and tailstock, but oddly the headstock looks
well used.