Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Ground on Light switch?

do you have a link to a picture of a modern light
switch that does NOT have a ground screw on it?

You can't buy them new because a ground is required by code now.

However, about 15 years ago I bought a bunch of outlets and switches for a
shed with extras for the garage we were going to build. When we finally got
around to building the garage, I installed them, not realizing the codes
(and the new switches) had changed. The inspector noticed immediately
(based on my experience, grounds are the FIRST thing the inspectors look
for).

I don't know when the change took place, but it must have been close to the
time we built our garage (2001). The inspector approved the installation
anyway, saying we "probably just got an old box of switches". I doubt any
inspector would allow them today.

For the most part, an ungrounded switch is safe, because the cover plate is
plastic and the switch handle is plastic. However, if there was a short in
the switch, the screws that hold on the cover plate could be energized.
It's an unlikely situation, but it could be very dangerous.

Switches have ground connections. Use them.

Anthony