Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Default Energizer ''D'' Batteries.

clifto wrote:
Ron(UK) wrote:

I`ve seen what look exactly like Duracell goldtop PP3`s which on
dismantling are stack of flat cells and not made up of cylindrical cells
as in a real duracell.

I have, too. But the brand name is different enough that it catches my
attention.

I`ve seen Duracell ripoffs that are absolutely indistinguishable from
the real thing until you take them apart. They even come in packaging
that`s exactly like the real thing! If there`s one thing the Chinese are
good at it`s cosmetic copying.

One typical incident I remember was in the very early eighties, when we
were on a little outing about 50 miles from home. I forgot batteries for
my boom box, which we were depending on for picnic music, so when we all
stopped at a hardware store out that way, I picked up the only D cells
they had, Duracells. The boom box would reliably run for four hours at
high volume on eight D cells from Eveready or RayOVac, and I could get
two hours out of it on cheapo batteries like Walgreen's house brand or
that ilk. The Duracells lasted almost a whole hour.

I`m not doubting you, and I have little experience with Duracell D
cells, but you never know how long those Duracells have been sitting on
a shelf and in what conditions they were stored. Don't get me wrong, I`m
not championing Duracell for any other reason than that they serve us
well when used in radio microphones, where a failure can be very very
embarrassing.
Some wireless kit is very fussy about what you feed it. Our Sennheiser
mikes for example refuse to work for more than a few minutes on brand
new Panasonic heavy duty PP3`s but run for at least eight hours on a
single Procell. That might be an impedance thing, I don't know.

When I was a kid, maybe 9 or 10, my dad bought me a Heathkit Jr
electronics workshop for Christmas, Included in the box were four C
sized red and yellow RayOVac cells. Here in England, I'd never seen that
make of batteries before, and those four cells lasted for years,
whatever they made them from, they should reintroduce it!

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems