Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Kitchen sink questions was do all projects end like this?

Kevin Ricks wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

snip

3) All of the sinks that we looked at at the Despot (only place that
was open on a Saturday evening) only had four holes for fixtures. Is
an air gap actually required for a dishwasher drain? ISTR in my
parents' house that there was no air gap, the drain hose was simply
looped up high and then came down into the tailpiece of the sink
drain. Or is it just SOP for an installer to cut another hole if a
dishwasher is installed? If so, how would one do that in a cast iron
sink?

A lot of newer faucets have the integrated pull out sprayer. I find
these better and more useful than the old awkward hose sprayers which
rarely got used except to spay me in the face when I grab it wrong...

These integrated types take up less holes. Some models use only one hole
total for spigot/sprayer and H&C water valves. So changing the faucet to
one of these may give you extra holes for the air gap. At one house
filled 2 unused holes with pump dispensers for liquid hand soap and dish
washing liquid. Then she wanted a hand lotion dispenser...

The fixture I have now has pullout sprayer and covers 3 holes. 1 is soap
dispenser (built into the fixture flange), 1 for everything else, 1 hole
is not used but covered by the flange.

Having to have an air gap depends on how the dishwasher and drain is
installed. I don't remember the details. Something to do with how high
the drain hose is in relation to the connection point. Look at the
dishwasher installation manual. The last dishwasher I installed did not
need one as per the installation instructions. I believe I used the high
loop method.
As someone else said codes may require one regardless.
I've seen some air gaps put into the counter top would not recommend that.

Kevin

I was kind of shying away from the faucets with the pull out sprayer; I
guess I just kind of considered it something else to go wrong. I was
anticipating everything getting floppy and leaky with age, is this a
real concern? I don't know anyone that has had one for more than a year
or two, so I don't know if I'm worried about nothing or not. I guess I
was just assuming I would be using the separate pull out sprayer for
"KISS" reasons.

Looks like I will have to replace a couple valves too... the hot water
shutoff valve seems to be weeping past the stem (big shocker, house is
60 years old) so the snowballing of the project continues...

I wish I had the intestinal fortitude to attempt rebuilding the valves
in place, but I just don't have the experience that tells me I can do
it. Nothing says "excitement" like soldering while on your back inches
away from wood paneling...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.