Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Default hot water recirculating device

wrote:

On Dec 1, 11:32 am, "Old_Boat" wrote:

True in the shor term, however,according to the experts at a seminar about
the new septic rules that are being adopted in Ohio, the experts from The
Ohio State University, stated emphatically that to prolong the life
expectancy of a leach feild, the least water you put into the system will
prolong its lifespan. .

Larry

Are you sure they were talking specifically about additonal small
amounts of CLEAN fresh water? Or were they talking about amounts of
WASTE water in general? The latter I can see. But I don't see a
process by which sending some additonal water into the leach field
from running some additonal tap water is going to cause a shortened
lifespan.

Yes, clean water, too.
Simply, the less water you put through the system, the more time
the waste spends breaking down in the septic tank.

Once broken down, insoluble materials are left in the septic tank
(either sinking to the bottom, or floating to the top) and only
water with soluble materials or very small particles makes it
to the leach field where it can actually leach deep into the soil.
Eventually those insoluble materials are pumped out of the tank.

Too high a flow rate, and the undecomposed waste gets flushed into
the leach field, where it will also decompose. But now you can't get
rid of the insoluble stuff, and it will eventually plug up the leach field.