Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hot water recirculating device

On Dec 1, 11:32 am, "Old_Boat" wrote:
wrote in message

On Dec 1, 10:05 am, "Old_Boat" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

"peter" wrote in message
news:8Rr3j.17540$Jy1.15667@trndny02...
I saw this hot water recirculating device at costco. It reduces
(eliminates) the time for hot water to travel to distance faucets by
circulating the hot water.

http://www.wattspremier.com/watts/sh...User_ID=119881...

It looks like the water sitting in hot water pipe is being pump into
the
cold water pipe, which eventually loops back into the hot water
heater.

Has anyone installed this, and does it work well? Does it increase the
heating bill significantly?
When we had our house built in 1996, I specified a hot water
circulation
pump. The plumbing was installed as a loop going to each location in
series and then back to the water heater where it goes back into the
water
heater. It works wonderfully, taking only a second or two for hot
water
at all locations. We have a wall switch on the pump, and it is
normally
off unless someone is going to wash dishes, take a shower, etc (off
when
not using hot water).

I highly recommend this system, but am not sure it can be installed in
pre-existing plumbing system since there is no loop.

Bob-tx

I have a similar system that is called an autocirc2. It does work. This
system has a time that you can set so that the pump only runs when you
need
it. You can set the timer in 1/2 hour increments. However, I have found
that
the cold water is indeed warm when you use it, but it is no big deal.
The
big benefit I see is that if you are on a septic system, it will reduce
the
amount of water you run to get the hot water.

With any decent functioning sepic system, I don't see this as an
issue. Putting a bit more clean water into it doesn't affect it's
longevity or functioning.

True in the shor term, however,according to the experts at a seminar about
the new septic rules that are being adopted in Ohio, the experts from The
Ohio State University, stated emphatically that to prolong the life
expectancy of a leach feild, the least water you put into the system will
prolong its lifespan. .

Larry

Are you sure they were talking specifically about additonal small
amounts of CLEAN fresh water? Or were they talking about amounts of
WASTE water in general? The latter I can see. But I don't see a
process by which sending some additonal water into the leach field
from running some additonal tap water is going to cause a shortened
lifespan.

My farthest faucet is about
100 feet from the water heater and running the water to get the hot
without
it was significant. It is also a great convenience to not have to wait.