Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry Mike Henry is offline

Default Clausing cross slide

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 11:17:02 -0800 (PST), oldjag
wrote:

It looks very similar to the slide in your photo. The lathe has a
regular tailstock and no turret, so I don't think it was originally
set up ar a turret lathe. It would be nice to be able to set a
compound of some sort on the T slots, but I'm not sure if it would
wind putting the tool post up to high relative to the center height.

I know Clausing did offer some of their lathes with turrets in place
of the tailstock, and I once had a 16" Southbend set up that way. I
think Don Nichols has a Clausing turret lathe - you might want to get
his attention if he doesn't pop in.

It seems reasonable that since Clausing was already making your style
of cross slide for turret lathes, they may have offered it as an
option on the engine lathes.

My used 5914 included both a bed turret and standard tailstock as well as
the standard cross slide and a production cross slide. It's fairly easy to
swap between the TS and bed turret and I suspect that swapping the cross
slides is only a bit more difficult, but I've never had the need to do that.
If the OP can find a standard compound he will probably find it easy to
install it.

The bed turret has some advantages for drilling large deep holes in harder
to machine materials, like SS.

Mike