Carl Byrns

Default OT? Heavy Metal Stereo Speaker Project Pics

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 23:52:39 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
shouted from the rooftop:

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:42:06 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
shouted from the rooftop:

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:30:32 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
shouted from the rooftop:

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message
.. .
snip-----

Back in the late 1970's a friend of mine worked at a high end audio
store and got to drag home a lot of exotic stuff including a pair of
DCM Time Windows which are out of production. I have never before or
since heard such amazing sound and imaging. Words fail me.
Back then, they were $800 and a quick web search shows that they still
command prices in the $300 range (not bad for +20 year old speakers)
_when_ they come up for sale.

Typical of what I've been saying. When the Paragon was introduced in the
late 50's, it sold for under $1,800.

A lot of money back then- the price of a decent car.

One if fine condition today will
fetch $8,000. I've seen them advertised for as much as $20,000, but no
takers. They only built about 1,000 of them in all the years they were
produced, so there's not a large market from which one can choose, and the
fact that many of them have been shipped to Japan isn't helping the cause.

This web site http://www.audioheritage.org/ says JBL actually sold
blueprints for the Paragon. Wonder if any exist?

It also notes that the workers- craftsmen- didn't strictly adhere to a
set of plans, but knew how to build a great speaker by eye. Neat.

Are you familiar with the Paragon? It was an award winning stereo speaker
system. If you're not, ask and I'll send you a picture of ours. If you
like Danish modern design, you should love the looks, even if you don't like
the bright sound of horns. But then, you did say you had LaScalas. It's
been years, are the LaScalas the corner horns?

Folded bass horn, trumpet midrange and treble. They are a bit bright.

Could be the "magic" is in the speakers, not the enclosures, so you might be
disappointed.

Nah- they were 'transmission line' enclosures- the woofer was fully
enclosed except for a tube/baffle arrangement that exited at a
front-facig port. The baffle was tuned at the factory to work in phase
with the speaker cone. Or something like that- it's been years.
The Time Window was almost a bookshelf speaker but it sounded like
something much larger. The magic was in the cabinet design.

-Carl
"If you don't have enemies, you don't have character"-Paul Newman