JR North

Default OT? Heavy Metal Stereo Speaker Project Pics

Well, I DID use some screws and thumb tacks....36" tall
Killer stereo speakers.

http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth/index.htm
Build these and endear yourself to your neighbors!
JR
Dweller in the cellar
--
Remove X to reply

Dependence is Vulnerability:

"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Carl Byrns

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 17:31:02 -0700, JR North
shouted from the rooftop:

Well, I DID use some screws and thumb tacks....36" tall
Killer stereo speakers.

http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth/index.htm
Build these and endear yourself to your neighbors!

Is that a Dual turntable in one of the pictures?

-Carl (who, once upon a time, had a pair of Klipsch LaScalas in the
living room)
"If you don't have enemies, you don't have character"-Paul Newman
Harold & Susan Vordos

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message
snip-----

-Carl (who, once upon a time, had a pair of Klipsch LaScalas in the
living room)

They didn't come close to the performance of the JBL speakers. I can
understand why you no longer have them.

Harold, who still has three sets of JBL's, two sets of C-50 Olympus cabinets
with the S8-R speaker systems and a Paragon.

Bob Chilcoat

But Klipsch and JBL's are small potatos compared with these:
http://www.royaldevice.com/custom3.htm

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message
snip-----

-Carl (who, once upon a time, had a pair of Klipsch LaScalas in the
living room)

They didn't come close to the performance of the JBL speakers. I can
understand why you no longer have them.

Harold, who still has three sets of JBL's, two sets of C-50 Olympus

cabinets
with the S8-R speaker systems and a Paragon.

Carl Byrns

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:30:32 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
shouted from the rooftop:

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message
.. .
snip-----

-Carl (who, once upon a time, had a pair of Klipsch LaScalas in the
living room)

They didn't come close to the performance of the JBL speakers. I can
understand why you no longer have them.

No, you can't.
I don't have them becausewWe sold that house with it's large, open
floor plan (LaScalas need _lots_ of room to sound good).

They are currently at my friends' house. He lives in the country and
we drag them (and his _other_ pair of LaScalas) outside during
barbeques. We have been visited by police officers who marveled at
the sound while asking us to turn it down.
JBL's aren't bad- I have built speakers from the Altec Lansing book of
plans and they worked quite well- but for serious sound reinforcement
the LaScala is hard to beat.

-Carl
"If you don't have enemies, you don't have character"-Paul Newman

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:30:32 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
shouted from the rooftop:

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message
.. .
snip-----

They are currently at my friends' house. He lives in the country and
we drag them (and his _other_ pair of LaScalas) outside during
barbeques. We have been visited by police officers who marveled at
the sound while asking us to turn it down.

Chuckle. I used to get that with the speakers in the house. No need to
drag them outside to irritate the neighbors, just turn them up.

JBL's aren't bad- I have built speakers from the Altec Lansing book of
plans and they worked quite well- but for serious sound reinforcement
the LaScala is hard to beat.

Without turning this into a "dick size" contest, yes, the LaScala is hard to
beat, but not impossible Bozak Concert Grand can do it (as long as you
have a ton of power, anyway), as can the high end JBL speakers that I own.
McIntosh has a line of speakers that will put them to shame, but, then
again, you must have lots of power, something like 1200 watts per channel. .
I had the option to buy Klipsch when I invested in speakers but I made a
different choice, based on my own observations and personal prejudice. To
this day, no one has marketed speakers with the design qualities of JBL,
especially the Paragon. Do not confuse Altec Lansing with JBL. They are
not the same.

In my quest for speakers that pleased my ear, I even looked at Tannoy,
which didn't come close to the performance of the JBL's in my opinion.
Industry wide, the 375 mid-range driver is one of the most respected
speakers to ever hit the market. So much so that they now fetch far more
than they used to cost new. I don't recall anyone seeking any of he
speakers lines the way I've seen fans pursue the JBL stuff on eBay.
Everything I've seen sell by other manufacturers has sold well under the
original selling price, whereas JBL has brought far more. JBL has proven
itself through more than 40 years of success. It's a shame that they were
sold and the new owners discontinued the high end home consumer products.
That, of course, matters only to those that appreciate their sound. Not
everyone does.

Harold

Carl Byrns

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:42:06 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
shouted from the rooftop:

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:30:32 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
shouted from the rooftop:

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message
.. .
snip-----

They are currently at my friends' house. He lives in the country and
we drag them (and his _other_ pair of LaScalas) outside during
barbeques. We have been visited by police officers who marveled at
the sound while asking us to turn it down.

Chuckle. I used to get that with the speakers in the house. No need to
drag them outside to irritate the neighbors, just turn them up.

My old house was built ~1856, brick construction. I cranked up the
LaScalas indoors exactly once- windows rattled in the casements, a
wall cracked, and 140 years of accumulated dust shook out from the
floor planking. It took weeks to clean the basement and the (open
during the event) washing machine pumped mud for a couple of cycles.
My wife almost killed me.

Without turning this into a "dick size" contest, yes, the LaScala is hard to
beat, but not impossible

Not at all- LaScalas need lots of room and perform poorly in small
spaces.
Back in the late 1970's a friend of mine worked at a high end audio
store and got to drag home a lot of exotic stuff including a pair of
DCM Time Windows which are out of production. I have never before or
since heard such amazing sound and imaging. Words fail me.
Back then, they were $800 and a quick web search shows that they still
command prices in the $300 range (not bad for +20 year old speakers)
_when_ they come up for sale.

I keep hoping I'll find a pair at a garage sale or find some more
information on their construction and build a pair.

-Carl
"If you don't have enemies, you don't have character"-Paul Newman
michael

I once had a pair of homebuilt speaker cabinets. Each with a 15" JBL in
the bottom, and a large green Altec horn above. Regret parting with
those.

michael

Tim Williams

"michael" wrote in message
I once had a pair of homebuilt speaker cabinets. Each with a 15" JBL in
the bottom, and a large green Altec horn above. Regret parting with
those.

S'pose I should add my two bits. (Yeah, like they even cost that much to
build.)
http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/Images/Trapezoid.jpg
Made two of these, mid/tweeter, connected in parallel with my vintage 1959
Magnavox console stereo cabs, doesn't sound bad through my vintage-ish (why,
homemade of course) tube amps.

Tim

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
- Homer Simpson

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:42:06 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
shouted from the rooftop:

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:30:32 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
shouted from the rooftop:

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message
.. .
snip-----

[...]

Not limited to LaScalas. All good speakers need a minimum of 30 feet to
prevent standing waves on the low end. I once hauled my speakers to a
church hall for a performance. Couldn't believe how much better they
sounded in a large room.

Back in the late 1970's a friend of mine worked at a high end audio
store and got to drag home a lot of exotic stuff including a pair of
DCM Time Windows which are out of production. I have never before or
since heard such amazing sound and imaging. Words fail me.
Back then, they were $800 and a quick web search shows that they still
command prices in the $300 range (not bad for +20 year old speakers)
_when_ they come up for sale.

Typical of what I've been saying. When the Paragon was introduced in the
late 50's, it sold for under $1,800. One if fine condition today will
fetch $8,000. I've seen them advertised for as much as $20,000, but no
takers. They only built about 1,000 of them in all the years they were
produced, so there's not a large market from which one can choose, and the
fact that many of them have been shipped to Japan isn't helping the cause.

Are you familiar with the Paragon? It was an award winning stereo speaker
system. If you're not, ask and I'll send you a picture of ours. If you
like Danish modern design, you should love the looks, even if you don't like
the bright sound of horns. But then, you did say you had LaScalas. It's
been years, are the LaScalas the corner horns?

I keep hoping I'll find a pair at a garage sale or find some more
information on their construction and build a pair.

Could be the "magic" is in the speakers, not the enclosures, so you might be
disappointed. That would definitely be true with the JBL stuff.

Harold

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Tim Williams" wrote in message
"michael" wrote in message
I once had a pair of homebuilt speaker cabinets. Each with a 15" JBL in
the bottom, and a large green Altec horn above. Regret parting with
those.

S'pose I should add my two bits. (Yeah, like they even cost that much to
build.)
http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/Images/Trapezoid.jpg
Made two of these, mid/tweeter, connected in parallel with my vintage 1959
Magnavox console stereo cabs, doesn't sound bad through my vintage-ish

(why,
homemade of course) tube amps.

Tim

What are you using for output, Tim? The larger amps are using KT-88's,
or slightly smaller ones 6L6's. My first amp, a McIntosh 240, used the
6L6's. A great sound, but not as clean as solid state. That should open
the endless debate! :-)

Harold

Tim Williams

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message
What are you using for output, Tim? The larger amps are using

KT-88's,
or slightly smaller ones 6L6's. My first amp, a McIntosh 240, used the
6L6's. A great sound, but not as clean as solid state. That should

open
the endless debate! :-)

Heh, the left channel uses 6V6s (see Frankenhouse on my website) and right
channel uses 12AU7s (hehe.. Hept'AU7 if you want to dig for it on there as
well). They measure good.

Tim

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
- Homer Simpson

Harold & Susan Vordos

"JR North" wrote in message
Well, I DID use some screws and thumb tacks....36" tall
Killer stereo speakers.

http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth/index.htm
Build these and endear yourself to your neighbors!
JR
Dweller in the cellar

JR,
Thanks for the tour of your speaker construction. Very nice job, not only on
the cabinets, but the web site as well. How are you powering the
speakers, and what's your listening pleasure?

Harold

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:08:45 -0700, michael
calmly ranted:

I once had a pair of homebuilt speaker cabinets. Each with a 15" JBL in
the bottom, and a large green Altec horn above. Regret parting with
those.

Sounds like a familiar copy of an Altec Voice of the Theater speaker,
my favorite blood curdler. When each is run by a Phase Linear 700B
which has been bridged for mono output, they simply purr.

"i" before "e", except after "c", what a weird society.
----
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications

Old Nick

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:30:32 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message
.. .
snip-----

-Carl (who, once upon a time, had a pair of Klipsch LaScalas in the
living room)

They didn't come close to the performance of the JBL speakers.

Where? Speakers ain't speakers. Some stuff sounds good in one
situation, others in another.

FI, at a lower level, I recently acquired a "midi" system (insurance
replacement). It has a "subwoofer" (whatever that is, considering that
a "woofer" as I knew it went down below human hearing! hrmmphh!).
Basically, set up in the lounge it sounds ****. But crank it up and
step outside. hmmmmm...

Unfortunately, this means that the neighbours, most likely to object,
get the best version of what they do not want to hear.

Maybe we should all move next door! G

I once built a set of experimental boxes, using fairly loend stuff.
they boomed like crap inside, but watt for watt, wer hard to beat
outside.

More efficient = nastier in any enclosed environment and more
sensitive to driver quality/buildofbox? They alwys had problems with
bass-reflexx, and horn loaded. Built both. Both had their uses.

I can
understand why you no longer have them.

eeeuuuwh! G

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad

Old Nick

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 23:55:54 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

A great sound, but not as clean as solid state. That should open
the endless debate! :-)

Solid state

MOSFET or bipolar?

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad
Old Nick

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 23:55:54 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Sorry, but I have to "snob" here. I grew up on a Williamson
HiFi....807's in push-pull.

Funny, you know. It was crap (distortion was hifi at below 10%) BUT
SOUNDED GOOD.

Somehow the MUSIC (hang on to that part of listening) helped.

I remember a joke that my Old Man told me. A hifi buff comes out of a
symphonic performance......"not enough treble there...."

"michael" wrote in message
[...]

Old Nick

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:43:22 +0800, Old Nick
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

And to follow that up.

http://www.cosmos2000.org/audio/william2.htm

My Old Man talks of a guy (whose name was uncannily like Ted Edwards,
come to think of it!!!!!) who took his built amp and basically rebuilt
it (in that compassionate way that geniuses have for the enthusiast)
by removing 1/3 of the components........from the _design_.

Those were the days. The "black box" was 3 feet square.

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad
michael

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:08:45 -0700, michael
calmly ranted:

I once had a pair of homebuilt speaker cabinets. Each with a 15" JBL in
the bottom, and a large green Altec horn above. Regret parting with
those.

Sounds like a familiar copy of an Altec Voice of the Theater speaker,
my favorite blood curdler. When each is run by a Phase Linear 700B
which has been bridged for mono output, they simply purr.

Basically, yes. I didn't have any exotic amp/preamp setup. As I type, I am
listening to some Steppenwolf, driven by the same Harmon Kardon 330 that
drove those speakers. It's an early one, with the script lettering on the
face, not the block letters, nor the 330A. That tuner is now about 35 years
young, knock on wood, still runs good.

michael

JR North

My vintage Technics equipment. Lovely silver metal
enclosures-no cheapy black plastiky stuff for me.
Usually listen to Jazz and New Age but every so often,
dig out my 70's Disco tapes and records, and New Age Techno
CD's.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:
"JR North" wrote in message

Well, I DID use some screws and thumb tacks....36" tall
Killer stereo speakers.

http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth/index.htm Build
these and endear yourself to your neighbors! JR Dweller
in the cellar

JR, Thanks for the tour of your speaker construction.
Very nice job, not only on the cabinets, but the web site
as well. How are you powering the speakers, and what's
your listening pleasure?

Harold

--
Remove X to reply

Dependence is Vulnerability:

"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

axolotl

Old Nick wrote:
took his built amp and basically rebuilt
it (in that compassionate way that geniuses have for the enthusiast)
by removing 1/3 of the components.....

The term is "Muntzing"

http://www.smecc.org/mad_man_muntz!.htm

Kevin Gallimore

Harold & Susan Vordos

"axolotl" wrote in message
Old Nick wrote:
took his built amp and basically rebuilt
it (in that compassionate way that geniuses have for the enthusiast)
by removing 1/3 of the components.....

The term is "Muntzing"

http://www.smecc.org/mad_man_muntz!.htm

Kevin Gallimore

Real cool! I read part of it and will return later when I have more time.

Thanks!

Harold

Harold & Susan Vordos

Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

JR, Thanks for the tour of your speaker construction.
Very nice job, not only on the cabinets, but the web site
as well. How are you powering the speakers, and what's
your listening pleasure?

Harold

Great taste in music! Susan and I enjoy jazz ( West coast stuff, especially
out of the 50's) and classical, but mostly the baroque.

Have you explored Jacques Loussier? Great French pianist playing classical
in a jazz idiom. He has several albums titled Play Bach, volumes I, II,
etc., plus more, including a Vivaldi album. He's likely one of the finest
pianists going today. He is accompanied by bass and drums. Wonderful
sound, lots of soul.

Like you, no black plastic stuff for us, either. Lots of horse power,
though. g

Harold

Carl Byrns

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 23:52:39 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
shouted from the rooftop:

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:42:06 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
shouted from the rooftop:

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:30:32 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
shouted from the rooftop:

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message
.. .
snip-----

Back in the late 1970's a friend of mine worked at a high end audio
store and got to drag home a lot of exotic stuff including a pair of
DCM Time Windows which are out of production. I have never before or
since heard such amazing sound and imaging. Words fail me.
Back then, they were $800 and a quick web search shows that they still
command prices in the $300 range (not bad for +20 year old speakers)
_when_ they come up for sale.

Typical of what I've been saying. When the Paragon was introduced in the
late 50's, it sold for under $1,800.

A lot of money back then- the price of a decent car.

One if fine condition today will
fetch $8,000. I've seen them advertised for as much as $20,000, but no
takers. They only built about 1,000 of them in all the years they were
produced, so there's not a large market from which one can choose, and the
fact that many of them have been shipped to Japan isn't helping the cause.

This web site http://www.audioheritage.org/ says JBL actually sold
blueprints for the Paragon. Wonder if any exist?

It also notes that the workers- craftsmen- didn't strictly adhere to a
set of plans, but knew how to build a great speaker by eye. Neat.

Are you familiar with the Paragon? It was an award winning stereo speaker
system. If you're not, ask and I'll send you a picture of ours. If you
like Danish modern design, you should love the looks, even if you don't like
the bright sound of horns. But then, you did say you had LaScalas. It's
been years, are the LaScalas the corner horns?

Folded bass horn, trumpet midrange and treble. They are a bit bright.

Could be the "magic" is in the speakers, not the enclosures, so you might be
disappointed.

Nah- they were 'transmission line' enclosures- the woofer was fully
enclosed except for a tube/baffle arrangement that exited at a
front-facig port. The baffle was tuned at the factory to work in phase
with the speaker cone. Or something like that- it's been years.
The Time Window was almost a bookshelf speaker but it sounded like
something much larger. The magic was in the cabinet design.

-Carl
"If you don't have enemies, you don't have character"-Paul Newman

axolotl

Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

Real cool! I read part of it and will return later when I have more time.

And then read about his car manufacturing company. Interesting guy.

http://www.americansportscars.com/muntz.html

Kevin Gallimore

Old Nick

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:24:44 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I guess the thread topic means you do not fit in with the OP? G.

Great taste in music! Susan and I enjoy jazz ( West coast stuff, especially
out of the 50's) and classical, but mostly the baroque.

Have you explored Jacques Loussier? Great French pianist playing classical
in a jazz idiom. He has several albums titled Play Bach, volumes I, II,

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad
Harold & Susan Vordos

snip----
Back in the late 1970's a friend of mine worked at a high end audio
store and got to drag home a lot of exotic stuff including a pair of
DCM Time Windows which are out of production. I have never before or
since heard such amazing sound and imaging. Words fail me.
Back then, they were $800 and a quick web search shows that they still
command prices in the $300 range (not bad for +20 year old speakers)
_when_ they come up for sale.

Typical of what I've been saying. When the Paragon was introduced in

the
late 50's, it sold for under $1,800.

A lot of money back then- the price of a decent car.

Yep. Hard to believe when you look at prices today. As badly as I wanted
the Paragon those days, there was no way I could justify buying one,
although the price was less instrumental than the size. The speaker is
8'-7 5/8" long, so demands a large room. Back then I had no wall that
would accommodate it, nor justify the speakers, anyway. As you say,
speakers like that really do demand a large room.

One if fine condition today will
fetch $8,000. I've seen them advertised for as much as $20,000, but no
takers. They only built about 1,000 of them in all the years they were
produced, so there's not a large market from which one can choose, and

the
fact that many of them have been shipped to Japan isn't helping the

cause.

This web site http://www.audioheritage.org/ says JBL actually sold
blueprints for the Paragon. Wonder if any exist?

Hard to say. I still have some original JBL literature, which also mentions
the cost of prints. In the JBL publication PL66, the price of the
Paragon is $2,250, and prints for the enclosure could be had for $36.

It also notes that the workers- craftsmen- didn't strictly adhere to a
set of plans, but knew how to build a great speaker by eye. Neat.

I'd question the variations, if for no other reason, manufacturing and
assembly fixtures. The catalog suggests an OAL of 8'-7 5/8" long, and ours
is. Didn't check other dimensions, though.

Are you familiar with the Paragon? It was an award winning stereo

speaker
system. If you're not, ask and I'll send you a picture of ours. If

you
like Danish modern design, you should love the looks, even if you don't

like
the bright sound of horns. But then, you did say you had LaScalas.

It's
been years, are the LaScalas the corner horns?

Folded bass horn, trumpet midrange and treble. They are a bit bright.

As are the JBL's. Driven hard, they can cut like a knife. That's why I
suggested that not everyone likes the sound of horn type speakers. The
speakers built by McIntosh, Bose and Bozak all use banks of cone type
speakers in place of horns to develop their bold sound. Much softer, but
power hogs of the first degree. I have a hunch you could use some of
those systems as heaters! g

Could be the "magic" is in the speakers, not the enclosures, so you might

be
disappointed.

Nah- they were 'transmission line' enclosures- the woofer was fully
enclosed except for a tube/baffle arrangement that exited at a
front-facig port. The baffle was tuned at the factory to work in phase
with the speaker cone. Or something like that- it's been years.
The Time Window was almost a bookshelf speaker but it sounded like
something much larger. The magic was in the cabinet design.

Interesting. JBL apparently had problems with their low end on their
small (relatively speaking, they are far from small) cabinets, so came up
with a variation on tuned ports by adding the passive radiator to some of
their speaker systems. To my knowledge, they built infinite baffle
enclosures otherwise. The Olympus enclosure, for example, could be fitted
with the S7, S8, or S8R speakers. The R is, of course, the passive
radiator, which is a speaker minus magnet and voice coil. It works
diametrically opposed to the woofer, by compression or vacuum, such that the
woofer is permitted greater throw. Can't say how it works as compared to
a ported enclosure, but they seem to develop a pretty decent low end, clean
and crisp. It's easy to see them work,. naturally out of phase by 180
degrees. The Paragon, by contrast, doesn't have the passive radiator, but
has in its place an exponential horn of sorts, so it develops a reasonable
low end as well.

Harold

Harold & Susan Vordos

"axolotl" wrote in message
Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

Real cool! I read part of it and will return later when I have more

time.

And then read about his car manufacturing company. Interesting guy.

http://www.americansportscars.com/muntz.html

Kevin Gallimore

Will do! I saved the link for when I have a little time to burn. Thanks.

Harold

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Sheet Metal project price question. lane Metalworking 7 January 4th 04 08:56 PM
First project pics and a couple of questions chem Metalworking 10 October 19th 03 10:50 PM
sheet metal gas engine project clare @ snyder.on .ca Metalworking 10 August 27th 03 01:47 AM