Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default How do you clean a cloth backed strip of sand paper?

Leon wrote:
I have a 22/44 drum sander and I typically use a rubber stick for
cleaning sandpaper but,,,, some times it does not get it all and
leaves the smooth paint-like build up. I was sanding Bocote today
and that stuff is extremely oily. My belt loaded up and I was able
to remove 80% of the build up but the rest will not come off. I
have heard of soaking the paper in thinner, has any one done this?

Paint thinner, no...lacquer thinner, yes. I just stick a rolled up
strip in a small coffee can of lacquer thinner which dissolves the
resins/oils that causes the glazing. When you take it out the sawdust
will still be on the strip but they'll come off easily with a cleaning
stick.

Has any one bought the longer rolls and cut the ends themselves?

Lord, YES!! You save a bunch buying 50 yard rolls and it just takes a
moment to cut a new wrap when you need it...just lay the old one on
the roll and scratch the outline of the ends, then cut.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...