Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default How do you clean a cloth backed strip of sand paper?

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:04:52 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

I have a 22/44 drum sander and I typically use a rubber stick for cleaning
sandpaper but,,,, some times it does not get it all and leaves the smooth
paint-like build up. I was sanding Bocote today and that stuff is extremely
oily. My belt loaded up and I was able to remove 80% of the build up but
the rest will not come off. I have heard of soaking the paper in thinner,
has any one done this? Yeah I know, put a new piece on but this is 180 grit
and it was working fine until I ran the Bocote through and IIRC these strips
are about $8 each.

Has any one bought the longer rolls and cut the ends themselves?

I've been working with bocote lately and had the same problem on my 1" belt
sander, disk sander and 2" H&L on the lathe..
Found out accidentally, buy forgetting to clean the paper, that sanding a dryer
wood takes most of the oily stuff off and then the crepe block/stick works
fine..
I keep some pine scraps handy now..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing