Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Harbor Freight winch vs. McMaster winch, and wire rope

On 2007-12-01, SteveB wrote:
"Ignoramus9168" wrote in
message
news:54udnThxHOqfEdLanZ2dnUVZ_j2dnZ2d@giganews .com...
As I mentioned earlier, I installed a Harbor Freight
"truck crane" on
my truck. When trying to lift a 300 lbs rotary table into
my truck,
using the crane, the winch jammed.

Did you happen to notice how much deflection you had on the mast where it
meets the pickup side rail?

Steve, unfortunately, I did not, I was preoccupied by the winch jam. I
will check tomorrow when I will unload said table.

lol. Yeah, when stuff starts flying, sometimes you miss some things. I
laugh because I've been there, done it. I would suggest testing it with a
comparable load, but only lifting it about two or three inches off whatever
it's sitting on. The ground, the bed, the tailgate, whatever. That way,
you'll only be looking at one aspect and making those observances. Although
it would be noteworthy to see how it does during a full travel of its
parameter of rotation. Lift it from as many different positions of the boom
as you can. Know how it acts so if there's a point where it flexes a little
too much, you won't be surprised when making that lift in a real time
scenario. Keep your toes clear!

Steve