Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Harbor Freight winch vs. McMaster winch, and wire rope

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:08:11 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus22774 quickly quoth:

On 2007-11-30, BillM wrote:

If the McMaster winch turns out to be less than perfect, take a look
at Dutton-Lainson brake winches. Holds a suspended load even if you
let go of the handle. A little more money, but worth it.

Bill, I will try it this weekend, but I have hopes that it will work
as advertised (unlike the HF winch). It is made in USA, also. I looked
at the Dutton winches, they look very nice and if I knew, I might have
bought one, but as it stands, I think that I have a combo that can do
its job.

I looked at your McMaster link and saw the winches which used
strapping. I had never seen that before and think that is a GREAT
idea. I've been bitten by stray needles from wire rope before.

GIFs at 11, I suppose?

--
Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries
or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.