Posted to alt.home.repair

Default range hood replacement wiring question

"audioninja" wrote in message
First of all this is my first time posting in a Google group so I hope
I'm adding to the thread the correct way (reply, reply to author).

Anyway, thank you all so much for your quick suggestions. Let me clear
up a few things here. Terry as you assumed, I am in North America
(US).
There are already holes drilled for a plug because the microwave used
a plug, so that is all taken care of. I just need to wire it up.

Just make sure that the excess cord is in the cabinet above and not jammed
between the hood and the bottom of the cabinet

"Two loose wires? No ground? Does that sound strange to anyone?
Didn't the unit come with a manual explaining how to connect the
power? "

There is a green ground wire connected to a screw, I'm sorry I forgot
to mention that.
And I believe the manual said something like "hook up to house
wiring".

"I think the easiest thing to do is put a cord on the hood and plug it
into
the outlet above"

John, I like that idea best. You said to make sure to connect the
ground to the hood, but wouldn't I be
doing this already by attaching a cord to it (as it has a black,
white, and green wire for ground I assumed)

Yes you would.

What's a romex connector?

As someone else mentioned it is a two screw clamp type connector that will
fit in the knockout opening which is 1/2" trade size, but 7/8" in actual
size. There are also cord connectors as well, but I don't know what their
availability is at a home center.

Here are some pictures.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t/DSCF2851.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t/DSCF2857.jpg