Ken Finney

Default Painting exterior metal gate, sand blast, then rust treatment?

"andy everett" wrote in message
Steve, thank you for your reply. I left out some details. This gate is
wrought iron. Two 7 foot posts at about 200 lbs and two gates, six feet
high by five feet wide at about 300 lbs. It was bought at an antique
store and when painted it will decorate a small park in south east
Pennsylvania. It is quite massively built, thick metal bars and flat
work. Because of how it is built sand blasting seems the way to go to
get off the rust. I thought at a minimum this was something that needed
to be done. The people I am doing this for are in a rush to get it in
place. What could be the life of the paint job if it was powder coated
verses going with a good oil base paint?

If it were me, I'd consider painting with with POR-15 paint, followed
by the UV stable black topcoat made by the POR-15 people.