Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] swimmydeepo@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default mounting a boiler onto a Breeze block wall

On 2007-11-30 16:25:58 +0000, said:

How safe is it to fix a boiler of about 45Kg to a breeze block wall?

The wall at the moment is bare...no rendering, but I've planned to use
celotex insulation and plasterboard...I guess I'll have to use a
proper studding frame behind the boiler and then look for longer
screws (or these polyester fixings) to account for the thickness of
the studs.

How are fixing all the celotex/plasterboard - just fixing direct to the
wall, or are you putting up studwork throughout? That's what I did
recently; I got a fixing template from my boiler manufacturer while
erecting it, so I could work out exactly where to position horizontal
noggins so that they would be in the right place to attach the boiler to
them. Measured and recorded the noggin height off the floor, then
celotexed, and boarded the whole wall and got it skimmed.

Then when the boiler installer came along, he found two parallel lines
drawn on the plaster along which he could screw the boiler frame. So
the boiler is supported on the studwork, not the wall behind.

David

Well, the way the drywall is going to be fixed is another issue which
needs to be sorted.
Your suggestion is to fix the studs to the wall, apply the celotex
between the studs, cover with plasterboard and skim.
The boiler should be fixed onto the studwork (bearing in mind of the
positioning of the screws.
Yet, ultimately, the loads are transmitted to the wall...or the studs
rest on the floor?
I guess I need to do some homework....
It semms ok though, the impact load to the aerated blocks is softened
by the studs.
The studs can be spread on a large surface of the wall = the load is
also distribuited on a larger area.
The only problem with studs is that the celotex isn't going to be
continous along the wall surface.
I was thinking of using aluminium studs...but these don't look very
sturdy.
Maybe I should use wooden studs in critical areas and aluminium ones
in other.
This at present is all guesswork.