Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default range hood replacement wiring question

On Nov 30, 7:42 am, audioninja wrote:
First of all this is my first time posting in a Google group so I hope
I'm adding to the thread the correct way (reply, reply to author).

Anyway, thank you all so much for your quick suggestions. Let me clear
up a few things here. Terry as you assumed, I am in North America
(US).
There are already holes drilled for a plug because the microwave used
a plug, so that is all taken care of. I just need to wire it up.

"Two loose wires? No ground? Does that sound strange to anyone?
Didn't the unit come with a manual explaining how to connect the
power? "

There is a green ground wire connected to a screw, I'm sorry I forgot
to mention that.
And I believe the manual said something like "hook up to house
wiring".

"I think the easiest thing to do is put a cord on the hood and plug it
into
the outlet above"

John, I like that idea best. You said to make sure to connect the
ground to the hood, but wouldn't I be
doing this already by attaching a cord to it (as it has a black,
white, and green wire for ground I assumed)
What's a romex connector?

Here are some pictures.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t/DSCF2856.jpg

It looks like your pictures tell enough of the story that attaching
the cord, black to black, white to white and green to green should do
it for you. Use the correct size wire nuts and you'll be all set. The
cord should say what size wire it uses (possibly 12) and the wire nut
package will tell you what size nut to use. Since the cord has the
larger wires, use those to determine the wire nut size.

A romex connector is a metal ring that will clamp down on the cord and
hold it securely to the hood's junction box. I can't see the hole
where the wires come out, but hopefully it will fit one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Romex-Connecto.../dp/B0003S2MEQ

They make plastic snap in connectors, but I prefer the old fashion
metal ones like the one shown. The ring goes inside the junction box
and the clamp remains external. I typically postion the clamp so that
the screws are about a 1/4 turn from where I want them to end up, then
hand tighten the ring. I then grab a pair of pliers, insert the jaws
into the clamp and give it the 1/4 turn required to tighten it up.

There are hundreds of styles of grommets and wire clamps out there, so
if a Romex connector won't fit, I'm sure you'll find some type of
clamp that will. You do *not* want to leave the cord loose in the hole
since vibration may eventually cause the cord to wear out.