Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Voltage drop scenario/amperage question

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:33:27 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:09:40 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

Safely, yes. Voltage drop: resistance of 200 ft (round trip) of #10
copper is about 0.2 ohms, drop of 0.2 volt per amp or about 4.4 volts
at 22 amps -- shouldn't be an issue. It'd be 12 volts at 60 amps or
5.5% of 220V, shouldn't be an issue.

60 A through 10 GA wire certainly would be an issue, at least code wise,
seeing as it's only rated for 30 A generally.

For in-building wireing, yes. Codes don't apply to extension cords in
open air, far as I know -- but I'm not an electrician. Winston is
right, 7.2 watts per foot is a lot and may be too much -- cord might
get too hot.

Though the duty cycle on the Tombstone is only 20%, so the welder is
more likely than the cord to overheat. Disregarding the voltage drop,
for permanent premises wiring, a 60A breaker feeding a 20% duty cycle
welder thru 10 ga wire would be code compliant.

--
Ned Simmons