Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Voltage drop scenario/amperage question

SteveB wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
Don Foreman wrote:

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:15:57 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

I've just wired an external box with 10/3 solid copper 600v. wire with
AWG
running about ten feet from the panel to an outside outlet. I need to
run
it 100' to my slab where I weld. I want to use MAINLY a Lincoln SP
175+,
and the input amperage on that is 22 amps. Can I run a 100' of 10/3 AWG
with stranded wire safely? It's the big yellow one available at HD.

Now, I also have an AC 225 Tombstone that pulls 50-63 amps. How about
that
one?

I'm probably going to get a gas driven welder/generator in the future,
but
this is what I have to work with NOW.

Steve

Safely, yes. Voltage drop: resistance of 200 ft (round trip) of #10
copper is about 0.2 ohms, drop of 0.2 volt per amp or about 4.4 volts
at 22 amps -- shouldn't be an issue. It'd be 12 volts at 60 amps or
5.5% of 220V, shouldn't be an issue.

60 A through 10 GA wire certainly would be an issue, at least code wise,
seeing as it's only rated for 30 A generally.

As I wrote this, I was thinking that the wirefeed would PROBABLY work, but
the buzz box probably would NOT work. I'm trying to get hold of my union
electrician friend, but he is in another city and has not called me back
yet. In the meantime, I'm trying to get a handle on what I can and can't
do.

Thanks for your input(s).

Steve

The buzz box will certainly work, but only up to about half output. As
long as your circuit has properly sized breakers i.e. 30A it's safe
enough. Since the NEC has an exception for circuits serving electric
welders you could over fuse the circuit based on the duty cycle of the
welder if that's all it's feeding.

I ran my nominal 100A input Syncrowave on a 30A circuit for around a
year before I got around to upgrading power to my shop. Since I was
mostly welding 16 GA square steel tubing and only pushing near 1/3
output it ran fine.