Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mattmeitzner@gmail.com is offline

Default basement HVAC soffit

Finishing my basement and done with the framing. I have one soffit
that spans a 6" duct as well as an I-beam over the course of 25'.
They're offset a little, but instead of making a turn in the soffit,
I'm just installing one long soffit to enclose both. This will
provide a little extra room to put recessed lighting in the soffit as
well, which is needed. Since I can't purchase 25' 2x2's to build the
soffit from, I used leftover 2x4's, ripped into 2x2's and OSB to add
ridgidity. Because some pieces are 4' and others are 8', the soffit
ended up not perfectly straight, although it's only about 0.5" off
over the course of the entire 25' run. Is this the nature of building
soffits, or if I buy 16' 2x2's and redo the entire thing, will it look
much better? Any chance adding the drywall will "hide" the underlying
issue, or is it likely to only make it worse or more obvious?

Thanks