Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale Upscale is offline

Default General Woodworking Tools - Lowered height of woodworking tools

"J T" wrote in message
Any tool stands in my shop are made by me - from sheet plywood.
They're strong, light, steady, and inexpensive. I can make them any
height I want, and if the height is not right, I don't hesitate to make
changes.

As with most of the machine tools I use. My current tablesaw is a
contractor's version so it was just a matter of cutting a few inches off
each leg of the stand. However, for the longest time I've been wanting a
General cabinet saw. Regular discussions with General both online and at
trade shows about lowering one of their cabinet saws have been frequent. My
biggest complaint was that doing a height change on a cabinet would likely
void any warranty a new saw would have. Not now.

And, let's face it. Aside from the cost of retooling some less important
parts of their production line, it will be a win, win act for them. It makes
them look good. They will be at the forefront of the industry leaders in
this area ( at least when it come to the mass producing part), and there is
an existing under developed market for them to sell to. I can't envision
much of a downside to this.

Lastly, considering the age and condition of many of the people in this
newgroup (me included), machinery of this type will make it less
uncomfortable to continue with our woodworking hobbies. If or when I can't
do my woodworking, I better have something equally interesting to replace it
or I won't have much incentive to go on.