Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default General Woodworking Tools - Lowered height of woodworking tools

Wed, Nov 28, 2007, 2:49pm (Upscale) doth sayeth:
Well, I'm happy to see that General Tools will soon be producing a line
of lowered woodworking machinery suitable for individuals in
wheelchairs, people who like to sit, or who happen to be of lowered
stature. As far as I know, they're the only company in North America who
will be mass producing woodworking machinery of this type. It's about
time. snip

My joints give me seven kinds of Hell if I stand in one position
for long. So my router table, planer, and scrollsaw, are at heights
where I can sit using them; I do tend to use those for longer periods.
I don't usually use the bandsaw for more than just a cut or three, so
it's at standup height - for now. Same with the drill press. My bench
saw is on a stand at standup height, but don't use that for extended
periods. Same with the wood lathe - altho I've ben thinking about a
tall stool for chair for that - but may just chop the stand shorter.

Any tool stands in my shop are made by me - from sheet plywood.
They're strong, light, steady, and inexpensive. I can make them any
height I want, and if the height is not right, I don't hesitate to make
changes. The lathe stand is 3/4" plywood (I think), and doesn't
vibrate, wobble, or move around. And cost probably around $10 to make..

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you
"know"?.
- Granny Weatherwax