Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:11:39 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Leon wrote:
"todd" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message
. net...

So all those cars burning E85 should be getting, what, 4 mpg? Give it
up.

I don't know, that is a number you pulled out of your hat. I can assure
that alcohol does not improve nor maintain gas mileage.

I do know that those lighter weight E85 vehivles that I test drove with
smaller engines had EPA gas mileage estimates that were 10 to 15% less
than the vehivle that I bought with 25-30% more hp.

That sounds reasonable for 20% or so reduction compared to gasoline for
ethanol -- 85% * 0.8 + 15% * 1 == 0.83.

--

Perhaps if the gasohol was 20% cheaper although more often than not it is
more expensive in Houston.

And that's not the real cost. Take away the subsidies (your paying
for them with your taxes) add in the 20% spike in food products that
rely on field corn for food stock (Beef,pork) in the last year, apply
all at a weighted average in your life and you get the real cost of
E85.

Frank