Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Exbrat Exbrat is offline

Default Method of rapidly centering regular shaped stock for turning

On Nov 28, 3:40 am, Maxwell Lol wrote:
Exbrat writes:
Mac, Here's a link to some pics I've just uploaded
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/wa-woodturning-chat
Hope that gives you a better idea of what I was posting about.

At first I thought the screw center I have that fits in my Nova check
would work (if I replace the screw with a point) - but then I realized
that this center only stays in place when the chuck is tightened.

So it's no good. The Sorby steb center has the same problem.

If you cannot use the center hole of your chuck to house a spiked
insert could you perhaps mount a spike on a steel plate, possibly a
cruciform shape to avoid the jaws when they close, and position it
snuggly (interference fit) on the front of the chuck backplate. It
would be possible to do that on my chuck but I am not familiar with
the Nova.

Exbrat