Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Exbrat Exbrat is offline

Default Method of rapidly centering regular shaped stock for turning

On Nov 28, 12:27 am, mac davis wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 10:39:32 -0800 (PST), Exbrat wrote:
Mac, Here's a link to some pics I've just uploaded
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/wa-woodturning-chat
Hope that gives you a better idea of what I was posting about.

I too have been using a plastic center marking tool for years. I hope
you'll agree that I've improved on that a little. Cost me nothing, not
even $3.00.

Exbrat

I guess I'm sort of confused as to use...
You replaced a center finder with a scroll chuck and pointed nipple?

There has to be something I'm missing here... this is for finding and marking
center for spindle turning, right?

If I am understanding this, couldn't you put the stock to be cantered in the
chuck and center punch it from the back of the chuck?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

You must have missed my post to Leo on 27th. That's exactly what I
suggested. That approach is ok if your self-centering four jaw chuck
is left mounted most of the time, even for a job lot of a couple of
dozen spindles using a drive center such as the Robert Sorby steb
centre.

As I see it, using that approach I'd have to:-

1. Mount each blank. Close up the tail stock (guessing the center at
the tail - better removing tail center and using empty tailstock to
take hammer blow otherwise you will end up with an off center indent
at the tail end).
2. (In my case remove outboard accessory). Insert spiked rod and give
it a hammer blow. Open up the tail stock and reverse and do other end.
3. Repeat 1. and 2. a couple of dozen times.
4. Fit drive center and start turning.

Time is money. I'd beat that hands down. 3 or 4 seconds per workpiece
to center mark and indent (providing I'm not making four-poster
beds!).

Ref your post on 27th about the Veritas Center Marker. Good link.
Thanks. Excellent, simple idea.

You said "Ok for spindle work, but sort of useless for bowls, IMO.. "

Would be easy enough to knock one up with 8" sides to take up to 16"
bowls. Just needs a sliding marker knife. e.g. a 1" to 2" piece of
hacksaw blade, sharpened to a knife edge and clamped at about the
workpiece center (with, say, 1/8" protruding) in a narrow diagonal
groove bisecting the 90 deg cradle.

Exbrat