Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway Richard Conway is offline

Default loft hatch

I did mine recently using a sheet of hardboard glued to a sheet of
plasterboard glued to a bit of kinspan style foam insulation. The
hardboard gives a reasonably good surface to paint, the plasterboard
adds some weight so the hatch stays down without a catch and the
insulation, well, it provides insulation

Sam wrote:
On 27 Nov 2007 12:39:30 GMT, Richard Perkin
wrote:

If you like both plywood and the 'look' of tongue and groove,

I was not particularly after a T&G look, it was just I wasn't sure how
else to get a bit of wood that big; I thought I would have to join
some T&G together to make something that size.

What's the best way to insulate a new hatch? The ready built plastic
hatches ones come with a (small) sheet of polystyrene on. Is that the
best way to go? How thick should the polystyrene be; it doesn't seem
very thick on these pre built hatches and I wonder if it makes any
real difference?

Thanks.