Bob Powell

Default Update to web site and possible gloat.

I'm on a roll... posting stuff from poor memory and sounding like an idiot.
My excuse is my entire library is still packed from moving (5 years ago) and
I have forgotten a lot of stuff read long ago. Well at least it is
on-topic even if wrong. See today's other post on this thread for the
context.

Anyway Wayne is right about the Cincinnati connection as well. In the same
box as that 1941 McMaster catalog was my copy of the Cincinnati Milacron
centennial book (1884-1984). According to which:

Cincinnati Lathe & Tool co. was started in 1907 by a former Cinci Machine
employee. In 1946 Cincinnati Milling Machine co. went public and started
aquisitions and expansions. In 1947 they bought CL&T and maintained it as a
distinct brand. They were independent companies until that point. In 1949
they bought Canedy-Otto and made it part of CL&T. So Wayne's drill press
was made in or not long after 1949.

As part of the expansion, the parent company invested in new product
development and turned over the product lines pretty quickly. A drill press
that looks like the patterns were made in 1910 would have been high on the
hit list.

Being a company book it mentions only good news and "additions", and says
nothing about when brands were dropped or products phased out. In fact this
200 page book makes no mention of manual mills even existing after the
1940's. Only NC and CNC even though they obviously made manual mills at
least another 20 years.

Bob

"Bob Powell" wrote in message news:...
Wayne Cook" " wrote in message
I added a few shots of my new drill press to my web site. It's a
oldy but a goody Cincinnati (Canedy Otto) drill press that shows
almost no wear.

I've not seen a circa 1910 DP in such pristine condition before.

Very
impressive.

I agree except for the date. Based on what I've managed to dig up
Canedy Otto produced drill presses from the 1880's or there abouts
till the late 40's or early 50's when they where bought out by
Cincinnati. This drill press has Canedy Otto at the top of the plate
but in big bold letters below it has Cincinnati. Thus I believe this
press was really built sometime in the 50's. It was new enough to

have