Posted to alt.home.repair
john john is offline

Default Radon / Basement Cracks

I finally got around to stripping my basement floors in preparation for
hardwood vinyl flooring. I also did this to try my best with filling in the
cracks to reduce my radon levels. My levels last year were around 4.0.. Now
their around 8.0. I understand that this may not reduce the levels
significantly, but its my last attempt before calling in the professionals.
I have Radiant Heating so if they were to install a Radon system, they'd
have to do it solely outside.

I took pics of my cracks. Most of the seem to be around 1/32 of an inch.
The biggest one (and only 1) is 1/16 of an inch. So they dont seem to be
too big at all. I was surprised by this. My house was built in 93. I was
expecting much bigger cracks. Could these small cracks really cause these
kinds of Radon levels?

A pic of the was the smallest one which was around 1/32 of an inch.

http://www.world-news-forums.com/basement1.jpg

this was the biggest one around 1/16 of an inch -

http://www.world-news-forums.com/basement2.jpg

There were several other cracks aswell within that range. From 0 to 1/16 of
an inch.

Im guessing all I should use is Concrete Crack Filler? That paste type
stuff... Since the cracks dont seem to be big enough for the polyeurothene
caulks ? Is there a minimum (inch wise) in which polyeurothane caulks
should start being used?

thanks much ,
John