Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Radon / Basement Cracks

I finally got around to stripping my basement floors in preparation for
hardwood vinyl flooring. I also did this to try my best with filling in the
cracks to reduce my radon levels. My levels last year were around 4.0.. Now
their around 8.0. I understand that this may not reduce the levels
significantly, but its my last attempt before calling in the professionals.
I have Radiant Heating so if they were to install a Radon system, they'd
have to do it solely outside.

I took pics of my cracks. Most of the seem to be around 1/32 of an inch.
The biggest one (and only 1) is 1/16 of an inch. So they dont seem to be
too big at all. I was surprised by this. My house was built in 93. I was
expecting much bigger cracks. Could these small cracks really cause these
kinds of Radon levels?

A pic of the was the smallest one which was around 1/32 of an inch.

http://www.world-news-forums.com/basement1.jpg

this was the biggest one around 1/16 of an inch -

http://www.world-news-forums.com/basement2.jpg

There were several other cracks aswell within that range. From 0 to 1/16 of
an inch.

Im guessing all I should use is Concrete Crack Filler? That paste type
stuff... Since the cracks dont seem to be big enough for the polyeurothene
caulks ? Is there a minimum (inch wise) in which polyeurothane caulks
should start being used?

thanks much ,
John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 27, 6:07�pm, "john"
wrote:
[...]

EVER ANY moisture troubles in that basement?

Wood and moisture even just just high humidity are a bad combo. the
time to address this is before putting down a nice floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 27, 8:02Â*pm, " wrote:
On Nov 27, 6:07�pm, "john"
wrote:

[...]

time to address this is before putting down a nice floor.- Hide quoted text -

seal not only cracks in floor but around top of basement walls..

I would fill cracks then get retested before putting down floor,
assuming home passes radon test.

unless your number plummmets to under one, given its a living space I
would get it ventilated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:07:33 -0500, "john"
wrote Re Radon / Basement
Cracks:

I finally got around to stripping my basement floors in preparation for
hardwood vinyl flooring. I also did this to try my best with filling in the
cracks to reduce my radon levels. My levels last year were around 4.0.. Now
their around 8.0. I understand that this may not reduce the levels
significantly, but its my last attempt before calling in the professionals.

Why wait? Money is not important when your family's health is at risk.
Go for the peace of mind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

EVER ANY moisture troubles in that basement?

yes, only when there is a ton of rain. (5 inches a day or something simaler)
The eastern end of the basement gets wet.

seal not only cracks in floor but around top of basement walls..

The basement walls are walled up (sheetrocked) and painted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 8:33�am, "john"
wrote:
EVER ANY moisture troubles in that basement?

yes, only when there is a ton of rain. (5 inches a day or something simaler)
The eastern end of the basement gets wet.

seal not only cracks in floor but around top of basement walls..

The basement walls are walled up (sheetrocked) and painted.

putting wood on a floor with a known water problem is dumb, sorry its
blunt but true.

before putting down wood floor you HAVE to fix the water problem!!

Another thing all the nails and screws holding the walls up are radon
leak points and you have no access to them.

so get the water problem fixed permanetely

get the radon exhaust system installed. have ingress egress windows or
a door installed

then wait till after a big storm to confirm water problem is gone
before putting down wood floor.

water will just ruin wood, waste of time and money, sorry

sorry your trying to do this problem backwards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

seal not only cracks in floor but around top of basement walls..

The basement walls are walled up (sheetrocked) and painted.

I think he is talking about the tops of the cynder-blocks where there
may be open channels all the way down through the wall..

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is there some kind of tape to put on the very small cracks? (the ones that
are like 1/32 inch big) I feel like concrete paste would be useless here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 2:03�pm, "john"
wrote:
Is there some kind of tape to put on the very small cracks? (the ones that
are like 1/32 inch big) � I feel like concrete paste would be useless here.

any penetration of the floor or wall is a radon leak spot. think of 2
by 4s nailed or screwed to concrete floors, furring strips on walls,
all of these are totally inaccesible, behind drywall. and many cracks
will crack again.

the tiny ones you open up undercut, and seal.

but unless you fix moisture water issues all the time and effort and
money put into that spiffy new wood floor will be ruined in the first
major storm...
Posted to alt.home.repair

I got the water issue under control.

the tiny ones you open up undercut, and seal.

but the concrete is solid around the tiny ones.... why break up the concrete
for that?

Alot of these small ones I doubt are even cracked all the way down to the
dirt. might just be cracked near the top.

Posted to alt.home.repair

the tiny ones you open up undercut, and seal.

HallerB , the more I think about it the more your solution sounds like the
right now. A little tiny strip of concrete paste would be useless against
those small cracks.

So I need to cut open the cracks a little more , ey .. do u recommend any
tool to make this go quicker? All I could think of off the top of my head
is a hammer and pick / screwdriver.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:37:39 -0500, "john"
wrote Re Radon / Basement
Cracks:

the tiny ones you open up undercut, and seal.

HallerB , the more I think about it the more your solution sounds like the
right now. A little tiny strip of concrete paste would be useless against
those small cracks.

So I need to cut open the cracks a little more

Now you've got the right idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

anyone ever try "Low-Pressure Concrete Crack Injection" ?

http://www.radonseal.com/crack-repair.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:46:27 -0500, "john"
wrote Re Radon / Basement
Cracks:

anyone ever try "Low-Pressure Concrete Crack Injection" ?

http://www.radonseal.com/crack-repair.htm

A friend of a friend tried it. He said it works great.