Posted to alt.home.repair
Cshenk Cshenk is offline

Default Basement Remodel Code?

"cp" wrote
NO. Only if the space is used as living space, then there must be other
means of egress. Stairs/windows/door......pick your choice. I believe
windows have to be no more than 4 ft. off the ground, and at least
2'x4'.... I'm sure someone will come along and give the exact sizing, but
that figure is stuck in my head for some reason.

Matches my memory but may not be that exact number of inches. I remember it
as 'suitable for a person of 4ft5in to be able to egress without having to
drag any furniture over. A built in sort of window-seat was acceptable in
1972-4 in VA. There is also a memory of having to have that window-seat
able to hold up to 300lbs or something like that. Window-seat could not be
obstructed (like, used to hold a 70 gallon fish tank).

Oh! The window size obviously had to be big enough *and* on the other side,
there had to be some way to get down savely to ground level. Since on the
outside this window we adapted wasnt but a foot above ground level, it was
not an issue. We couldnt have any plants though that would block egress.
Inspector quibbled over the tulips but we won that one. We'd have lost had
it been a rose bush I think?